01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

First Class Wines

Some years ago before the Covid my wife and I went to spend four days in Bordeaux. We stayed in the middle of town and went on wine trips every day. During our stay we had the fortune to go and vist some wonderful Chateau. Along the way we bought a few bottles to take home.
Batailley
Brane-Cantenac
Giscours
Lynch- Bages
I had all these wines in a very big holdall on boarding the plane we sat down put our belts on and I had the holdall under my seat. As we took off the steward came over to ask what I had in the large bag I told her fine wine. With that she said there is a spare seat in first class would you like me to put your wine on one of the seats. I said that would be wonderful so my wife and traveled economy but my wine traveled first class.

21 Likes

I thought you couldn’t take more than 100ml outside of hold luggage

Jerry I am going back a number of years.

2 Likes

The liquid restrictions on planes are a fairly recent thing

I remember the days of cheap flights, weekend breaks and trying to cram delicacies into your bag for the trip home. Wine certainly but also saucisson, cheese and perhaps a can of duck confit in the days before such things were readily available here, at least outside speciality shops (I’m thinking 90s).

6 Likes

We brought back a can of donkey meat once…

8 Likes

I still do this now! on Ryanair you can usually get away with 1 bottle of wine, managed 4 on a KLM flight once wrapped in dirty clothes (they gave you full luggage allowance if you pay for a checked bag).

2 Likes

Didn’t Steven Spurrier achieve the Judgment of Paris by secreting divers bouteilles of the US wine distributed amongst fellow passengers’ carry-on luggage ? Gosh those were the days.

4 Likes

Since 9/11, i.e 2001, so must be going back quite some time indeed.

3 Likes

I think it was after the ‘Shoe Bomber’, circa 2006. I remember my carry-on luggage home from Turin round about then was a box of 6 Barbera & Dolcetto from Franco Mondo, a producer near a friend’s place in Piemonte. All neatly tied with string to carry it, the cabin crew had a laugh.

5 Likes

2006 indeed - but a different plot. Richard Reid (shoebomber) was 2001. The liquid restrictions were brought in after the attempt to smuggle liquid explosives (TATP coloured with “tang”) on to planes.

1 Like

If you still want to carry wine or spirits in your hand luggage I suggest the TLV - LHR route (nearly all flights in fact from TLV although I’m guessing US airlines from TLV to US are excluded as I discovered last week on a United flight from TLV to ORD which had a route specific liquids policy)

Anyone know what other airports besides TLV don’t enforce a liquids policy?

Schipol to London doesn’t in my experience - they have fancy scanners for hand luggage which don’t require you to take anything out of your bag.

1 Like

Yes, Schipol has scanners that do not require you to take anything out of hand baggage, but does that mean its OK to take a bottle of wine in hand baggage? Have you done so, because the 100ml rule is EU law, and restated on the Schipol website?

I suggest that the scanners will detect the bottle and it will be confiscated.

You definitely didn’t used to be able to take liquids through security in Schiphol, anything bought in the duty free airside was sealed in plastic bags with the receipt inside.

Yes my partner brought a bottle through last week with no problems. I haven’t taken wine through but have taken full bottles of water. Not sure I’d risk it with anything expensive though as the rules contradict themselves - in some places it’s stated 100ml max but others suggest there isn’t a limit.

Seems to be at Security Staff’s discretion, although the official rules on Schiphol.nl still say nothing bigger than 100ml.

They have one of these at London City now. It’s a game changer for the speed of the security lines

Schipol is a hard no on liquids > 100ml - at least when transiting. I speak from sad personal experience.

Imagine the joy of being able to travel in a manner pre 911 again. Arriving at the airport just an hour before take off. Even less at what used to be smaller airports like Luton where you’d have time for a coffee or a pint even if you arrived 45 minutes before departure.
And the luxury of being able to carry a few bottles or jars of goodies on board.
How simple and gratifying life used to be.

3 Likes