01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Fiano, Janare Colle di Tilio

Hello - I’m just drinking our last bottle of this delicious Puglian white. It’s disappeared from the Society’s list, please, please bring it back!

1 Like

I don’t know the wine, though i love Fiano. It’s not Puglian, btw, but Campanian.

The Fiano of Puglia is actually a completely different grape - SHOULD be labelled as Fiano Minutolo or just Minutolo, but hey, this is Italy!

2 Likes

There’s a Q&A with the Sarah Knowles, the society’s Italian buyer tomorrow. Could ask her about it then?

1 Like

Ah Fiano de Avellino is my favourite ! :yum::yum:

3 Likes

Never had a good fiano from anywhere else! Seems to need that volcanic soil…

1 Like

Fiano “Cometa” from PLANETA (Sicilian) is very good, albeit a bit pricey. Fennel on the nose; great depth.

2 Likes

Yeah, i was thinking of that one, too, when i wrote the comment! It’s well made, of course, and lots of people like it. For me it doesn’t have the minerality that i want in a fiano, and like most Planeta wines to me it just tastes a bit “made”.

Thanks for all the replies and comments, good to hear that I’m not alone regarding Fiano. I only discovered it last year, feels like I’ve missed out for years!
And yes, @suiko, you’re completely right, it’s from Campania rather than Puglia. In my (very limited) experience last year travelling through Puglia and Campania, I felt the best Fianos were those from the Salento peninsula - but it’s a small sample…
Anyway, I haven’t been impressed with the Society’s Sicilian Fiano which is a shame, and hopefully these threads get read because it would be great to have a Puglian one on the list - or the Janare Campanian one again! Though I see from Wikipedia that Avellino is also in Campania, so @Leah maybe you can push them to get some of that on the list!
Hope you’re all doing well in the lockdown :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Completely different grape, Matthew - i don’t think they’re even related. The Puglian fiano is much too aromatic for me, so you may not like the (far better known) Campanian one as much!

In any case, TWS get a quality Campanian fiano in every so often, usually a touch under 20 quid.

The only fiano in Sicily is imported. Personally I prefer the native grapes (esp grillo).

Hah! I knew I should have read more about Italian wines before the trip! I didn’t find any of the Fianos I tried to be anywhere near as aromatic as, say, a Gewurtztraminer - I can’t remember prices but we were drinking in restaurants anyway so that distorts the price a lot.
Anyway thanks for the info @suiko, I’ll keep an eye out when new TWS lists come out.
We had some lovely cataratto in Sicily - only tried grillo a couple of times, I’m guessing we were unlucky with the ones we tried.

1 Like

OOH nice !Like a decent Grillo!

1 Like

Cataratto can be great too!

Definitely not as aromatic as Gewurz, but that’s the extreme - I can’t even go near a Gewurz! Didn’t really like any of the whites in Puglia, which was a bit of a bummer, as I was there in summer, and much as I like primitivo… :pleading_face:

I had a bottle of the Fiano Sannio Janare 2016 as part of an Italian Giro mixed case offer back in 2017 and it was delicious.