Caveat: the quiz was written for people working in the wine trade, so it’s not easy!
- • Chateaux Lafite, Mouton-Rothschild and Latour are all based in which appellation: St Estephe, St Julien, Margaux or Pauillac?
- • Anselme Selosse is a producer famous for wines made in which region?
- • In which US state would you find the Horse Heaven Hills AVA?
- • What is a Burgundian 228l barrel known as?
- • The appellation of Utiel-Requena is best-known for which grape?
- • A Clavelin is a bottle famously used for which long-lived wine?
- • Acacia and Awash are major wine brands based in which country?
- • Name an “Ozgundian” producer.
- • Which wine, much-loved by Ancient Romans, shares its Latin name with a Caribbean cocktail ingredient?
- • Premier je suis. Second je fus. *** ne change. (“First I am. Second I was. *** does not change”) is the motto of which wine (where *** replaces the name of the wine)?
- • Which grape’s name includes the names of two cities located in Arabic-speaking countries?
2. Champagne – he’s the figurehead of the grower champagne movement.
3. Washington – it’s part of the Columbia Valley AVA.
4. A pièce
6. Jura’s Vin Jaune
7. Ethiopia – they’re a bit of an acquired taste
8. Mark Haisma, Jane Eyre, Le Grappin (and any other Aussies making wine in Burgundy)
9. Falernum – the cocktail ingredient is a syrup flavoured with almond, ginger, lime and various other lovely things!
10. Mouton Rothschild – it’s a reference to the fact that it was reclassified from a second growth to a first growth. The full motto is: Premier je suis. Second je fus. Mouton ne change.
11. Muscat of Alexandria