Favourite wine related movie moments

Obviously
https://youtu.be/tFiuzTOitc0?si=lhZQPHEejhcLDgbx

Cake and wine. But I can’t get it to show a preview

5 Likes

Have you ever played the Withnail and I drinking game? Basically, watch the film and drink whatever they are drinking on screen. I don’t actually think it is physically possible.

7 Likes

The film Mondovino direct by Jonathan Nossiter has many fine moments…but the interviews with Aimé Guibert, the Mondavi family and the others all arguing about the negotiations for the sale of Daumas Gassac in the village of Aniane are Balzacian in their intrigue…the short interview with the Communist town mayor and the parish priest’s walk on part are priceless moments of Gallic sophistry and equivocation.

3 Likes

Not to mention the final scene, Withnail swigging Margaux from the bottle.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Presumably - or at least hopefully - this doesn’t include drinking the lighter-fluid?!

2 Likes

In ‘Apocalypse Now’ there is a bottle of Château Latour on a shelf behind Chef. The scene on the boat the last time all of Chef appears at Kurtz’s gaff. Terrible storage conditions. Sorry to be vague but I’m not sure if it is only in the director’s cut.

3 Likes

I have drunk a Phelan Segur 1996 which is the wine Hannibal Lecter is drinking on the plane after he has cut his hand off in whatever one it is where he gets handcuffed to a fridge by agent Starling. Good wine.

4 Likes

In the most recent season of Succession, Tom is fussing over the wine for an event, and says

It’s the kind of wine that separates the connoisseurs from the weekend Malbec morons.:rofl:

8 Likes

My favourite movie wine moment is from Sideways (of course); not the Miles declaring “I ain’t drinking no f…in’ Merlot” scene, nor his drinking from the slop-bucket and then having it poured on his head, but the part when he drinks his '61 Cheval Blanc from the polystyrene cup in the fried chicken diner to compensate from the loss of his relationship with Maya.

This is the best wine film of all time.

6 Likes

Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro’s characters dip bread in their wine together at different stages in their lives in The Irishman which I really liked. My mum used to do this too, I try myself from time to time but usually get strange looks when I do. Great wine symbolism in a great movie.

I always liked Miles’ explanation of why he loves Pinot in Sideways.

3 Likes

For some reason, this one springs to mind. It’s not really about the wine though. I love the dialogue, and one of my favourite Bond girls too.
It seems Ch. Angelus has been served in three James Bond scenes - surely product placement?

3 Likes

I absolutely love the inimitable Vincent Price and equally talented Peter Lorre, really hamming it up in the wine tasting scene from Roger Corman’s ‘Tales of Terror’. Main bit from 2:08 in.

Lorre was such a superb actor, who always brought such a level of pathos to his performances.

6 Likes

My favourite wine scene has to be from one of my favourite films for its love, humanity, enjoyment and much more. Babette’s Feast in the original Danish with subtitles starring the glorious Stephane Audran.

Watch it and weep for all the right reasons. :heart:

7 Likes

That is a truly beautiful & gorgeous film :~}

2 Likes

Donald Pleasence getting overheated with some overheated wine

3 Likes

What a weird meal @m4rk !

Columbo’s chosen a Mosel for the first course, and a Zinfandel for the main - meat course - but they don’t get to the main course, they’ve still got white in the glasses when the Port is poured.

Columbo is the host and he’s paying for it all, and tastes and accepts the Port, so it’s the height of bad manners for the Pleasance character to then decide the Port is faulty and create a scene by shouting at the waiter and Maître D’ then storming out.

Is that really your favourite?

2 Likes

Can we include whisky?

In which case ‘lost in translation’ - plenty of whisky sipping, and a little sake from square wooden masu cups.

2 Likes

It was the 70s!

1 Like

Again not wine but brandy in Highlander

https://youtu.be/T8dVElW3chk?si=BeW7pvhPd38yZaMe

1 Like