I desperately need suggestions for a new series to watch on Netflix with my wife - this is a bit of a challenge!
This is not directly wine related, but I do enjoy having a glass (or two?) of something while we watch TV after dinner. It is an excuse to relax and linger over something nice, rather than get back to work (a bad habit).
My wife and I just finished all the episodes of Line of Duty, and we are all caught up with Designated Survivor (beginning to tire of it a little - not as inventive as it was originally). We’ve tried The Happy Place and Stranger Things but not got into them really.
She loves historical drama, and is a big fan of Poldark as well as Call the Midwife.
I like my sci-fi series - I’ve finished the latest Star Trek (not the best); loved the series 'Mars and The Expanse
There is now so much on Netflix it is hard to find new series, so I’m hoping you have useful suggestions - and wine matches welcome too!
---------- SUGGESTIONS -------------
So many great suggestions below. I’m going to have to list them all to make sure I can refer back to it (and others can too).
Going through the list though … there is an amazing amount of violence and killing listed here! What does that say about us, or maybe about society (not The Society, I mean in general)?
- Narcos - may be a bit violent for relaxing TV?!
- Fargo - sounds great
- Breaking Bad - keep meaning to come back to that, never finished it first time
- Better Call Saul - must finish BB first!
- Peaky Blinders - seen the first season, good reminder
- Detectorists (not on Netflix?) - heard good things, but just TV, right?
- The Crown - I have to say I tried this, never quite finished first series, but I should
- The Keepers - that’s new to me - will investigate
- House of Cards - loved the original (rewatched it a year or so ago).
- Rellik (BBC) - had heard of that. Must take a look as I tend to forget about live TV
- Gilmore Girls - my daughter (12) has watched all the series; need to catch up (hope it was all age appropriate)
- The OA - seen that, started well, not sure of ending
- The Sinner - intriguing
- The Dark - Ich spreche kein Deutsch - a film is one thing, a whole series might be too much, though I guess we managed it for The Bridge
- Alias Grace - I’ve heard mixed things?
- Ozark - saw first episode and should get back to it - forgot about it, thanks!
- Master of None - I’ll test that with my wife, comedy is a very personal thing
- The Expanse - finished it already. I did enjoy that (not sure about the plot device in second series, but social aspects interesting)
- The Wine Show - yes, must watch that. I actually know Joe Fattorini (the main man), and that is both a good, and bad thing. When you know someone, their on-screen persona can sometimes feel fake - however good
- The Good Wife - already seen 2-3 series. Started getting weaker, so explored beyond it
- Frankie & Grace - saw that advertised, thanks, will check it out
- Last Chance U - not sure my wife would be much into it, but could be interesting
- Suits - tried that a few years ago. My wife is a lawyer and certain aspects were hard to “get past” for her - though would be interesting to rewatch and look out for Lady Markle
- Designated Survivor - YES! We are up to date on that one (still coming out weekly). Have to say I enjoyed the first quarter more than the following episodes, but sticking with it
- Call My Agent - interessant, merci!
- Quarry - don’t think I have Sky Atlantic (I avoid 99% of anything branded Sky normally)
Phew! What a list. Won’t need to go out at all in 2018 at this rate (as long as my wine deliveries keep coming)