01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Favourite Netflix Series

I desperately need suggestions for a new series to watch on Netflix with my wife - this is a bit of a challenge!

This is not directly wine related, but I do enjoy having a glass (or two?) of something while we watch TV after dinner. It is an excuse to relax and linger over something nice, rather than get back to work (a bad habit).

My wife and I just finished all the episodes of Line of Duty, and we are all caught up with Designated Survivor (beginning to tire of it a little - not as inventive as it was originally). We’ve tried The Happy Place and Stranger Things but not got into them really.

She loves historical drama, and is a big fan of Poldark as well as Call the Midwife.

I like my sci-fi series - I’ve finished the latest Star Trek (not the best); loved the series 'Mars and The Expanse

There is now so much on Netflix it is hard to find new series, so I’m hoping you have useful suggestions - and wine matches welcome too!

---------- SUGGESTIONS -------------

So many great suggestions below. I’m going to have to list them all to make sure I can refer back to it (and others can too).

Going through the list though … there is an amazing amount of violence and killing listed here! What does that say about us, or maybe about society (not The Society, I mean in general)?

1. Narcos - may be a bit violent for relaxing TV?!
  2. Fargo - sounds great
  3. Breaking Bad - keep meaning to come back to that, never finished it first time
  4. Better Call Saul - must finish BB first!
  5. Peaky Blinders - seen the first season, good reminder
  6. Detectorists (not on Netflix?) - heard good things, but just TV, right?
  7. The Crown - I have to say I tried this, never quite finished first series, but I should
  8. The Keepers - that’s new to me - will investigate
  9. House of Cards - loved the original (rewatched it a year or so ago).
  10. Rellik (BBC) - had heard of that. Must take a look as I tend to forget about live TV
  11. Gilmore Girls - my daughter (12) has watched all the series; need to catch up (hope it was all age appropriate)
  12. The OA - seen that, started well, not sure of ending
  13. The Sinner - intriguing
  14. The Dark - Ich spreche kein Deutsch - a film is one thing, a whole series might be too much, though I guess we managed it for The Bridge
  15. Alias Grace - I’ve heard mixed things?
  16. Ozark - saw first episode and should get back to it - forgot about it, thanks!
  17. Master of None - I’ll test that with my wife, comedy is a very personal thing :slight_smile:
  18. The Expanse - finished it already. I did enjoy that (not sure about the plot device in second series, but social aspects interesting)
  19. The Wine Show - yes, must watch that. I actually know Joe Fattorini (the main man), and that is both a good, and bad thing. When you know someone, their on-screen persona can sometimes feel fake - however good
  20. The Good Wife - already seen 2-3 series. Started getting weaker, so explored beyond it
  21. Frankie & Grace - saw that advertised, thanks, will check it out
  22. Last Chance U - not sure my wife would be much into it, but could be interesting
  23. Suits - tried that a few years ago. My wife is a lawyer and certain aspects were hard to “get past” for her - though would be interesting to rewatch and look out for Lady Markle :wink:
  24. Designated Survivor - YES! We are up to date on that one (still coming out weekly). Have to say I enjoyed the first quarter more than the following episodes, but sticking with it
  25. Call My Agent - interessant, merci!
  26. Quarry - don’t think I have Sky Atlantic (I avoid 99% of anything branded Sky normally)

Phew! What a list. Won’t need to go out at all in 2018 at this rate (as long as my wine deliveries keep coming)

You have too much spare time :slight_smile:

Sorry, no Netflix.

I’m struggling to find the time to catch up on terrestial TV, e.g Peaky Blinders and the Detectorists, and box set of Breaking Bad then there’s The Americans.

Maybe some of them are on Netflix?

First episode of Breaking Bad is a rollercoaster whether you watch the rest or not…

The Crown! Watched season one and it was great, so well made and cast. Season 2 is now out as well. Fargo is another one I believe is on Netflix, very good also (The series I am on about and not the film)

The Keepers.

Fargo was brilliant.

Even better the second time around when one could savour it

I didn’t rate the second series when first I watched it, seemed poor after the first knockout series with Billly Bob Thornton.

SPOILERS BELOW FOR SECOND SERIES

But second time around I appreciated it so much more and saw things I’d missed first time around. Also realised the character (Peggy Blumquist) I’d rather dismissed as a support first time around actually was the driving force and the one who survived till the end while taking down others around her.

A gin and Dubonnet with “The Crown”.
I know it may not de rigeur at present to suggest anything with Kevin Spacey, but the American “House of Cards” could be watched. Would suggest rerunning the original U.K version first. An intriguing cheek sucking number to accompany?

No Netflix either, but enjoyed the Liar and Rellik on ITV and BBC respectively. Both pretty gripping and clever plot.

Mrs Bob and I bonded over a series that’s now available on Netflix, which became a big guilty pleasure for us. The original version of the theme song was our first dance (although I’m not sure many of or guests got the reference). I’m not entirely sure it’ll do it for you, but I still love it.

Ladies and Gentlemen:
Gilmore Girls

:ok_hand:

Rellik was good! Didn’t see the ending coming…

My wife is a The Crown devotee and I pretend to be put out to watch it with her.

When she’s not looking, I watch slightly gorier things (although is there anything more gory than a biopic of Princess Margaret?), such as The OA and The Sinner.

The Sinner caught me by surprise as it does not look on the surface to be as riveting as it becomes. The OA is the opposite, getting progressively weaker - the first episode is enough to sustain an interest in the whole however and although it divides opinions, I am basically a fan.

The next two (unseen) on my list are The Dark (in German, oo-er) and Alias Grace.

I’m in completely agreement with @peterm - Fargo is excellent! I would also recommend Ozark and also Narcos if you’re after some other gritty dramas.

A comedy series on Netflix that I’m in love with is Master of None and there is an amazing episode where the main character is in Modena learning to perfect pasta making.

For Sci-Fi, I enjoyed a show called The Expanse although it was good, not great - it scratches a sci-fi itch if nothing else :slight_smile:

Not on Netflix, but I did overhear a couple of people on my evening commute a couple of days ago mentioning that they are launching a second season of The Wine Show due to air in the new year on Channel 5. I stumbled across the first season when it aired on ITV 2 and can highly recommend it to anyone who didn’t catch it, so the second season will certainly be one to watch out for!

YES, @BARGAINBOB! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
My other half thought I was mad when I suggested we watch it, and for about five episodes he really hated it, and then suddenly became addicted. We binged the whole lot last year just in time for the revival to come out and loved that too. One of the most heartwarming series ever and so, so funny in places.

I also second The Crown, only because I’ve only just started it and it’s brilliant.

Our current Netflix shows of choice are The Big Bang Theory and the excellent surprise that was Jane The Virgin, which is equal parts guilty pleasure viewing (overly dramatic, bit soppy, big plot twists) and heartwarming, beautifully written masterpiece (especially in later seasons).

But I think you’ll love The Good Wife (if you haven’t seen it already - plus there’s like eight seasons so it’ll keep you going for aaages) and I also really recommend Grace & Frankie if you haven’t seen it yet.

I’ve heard great things of Peaky Blinders, am yet to delve in myself but should be worth a look.

Breaking Bad and the spin-off Better Call Saul are both on Netflix and great, Breaking Bad especially is one of the best shows created IMHO, surpassing The Sopranos for me, on a level with The Wire which sadly isn’t on Netflix.

I can echo the suggestions for Fargo and Narcos, both great.

The recent adaptation of War & Peace is on there if you haven’t seen that.

My favourite short series on there though (which from what you’ve said wouldn’t be exactly up your strasse) is Last Chance U. This is a fly on the wall documentary series following the players, coaches and staff of a community college American Football Team. It is really amazing, I can’t recommend it enough, but as I say may not fit the bill of sci-fi or period drama as such.

Suits is absolutely brilliant, it’s based in a New York law firm and has some great story lines, there’s loads of film quotes and the two main leads are a good double act. Watch the Pilot episode and judge for yourself…you’ll then have seven seasons to catch up on, oh and Meghan Markle is in it too.
Designated Survivor is another hit in our house, Keifer Sutherland stars, again just watch the first episode and see if you like it, it’s only 45 mins of your life so not much to lose if you don’t get on with it.

Call My Agent, about a French talent agency. In French with subtitles.

Quarry if you have Sky Atlantic. 70s Vietnam vet becomes a hitman through adverse circumstances. Netflix - Narcos. Colombian cartels. Brilliant.

Wow!!!

So many great suggestions. I’m going to have to list them all to make sure I can refer back to it (and others can too).

Going through the list though … there is an amazing amount of violence and killing listed here! What does that say about us, or maybe about society (not The Society, I mean in general)?

1. Narcos - may be a bit violent for relaxing TV?!
  2. Fargo - sounds great
  3. Breaking Bad - keep meaning to come back to that, never finished it first time
  4. Better Call Saul - must finish BB first!
  5. Peaky Blinders - seen the first season, good reminder
  6. Detectorists (not on Netflix?) - heard good things, but just TV, right?
  7. The Crown - I have to say I tried this, never quite finished first series, but I should
  8. The Keepers - that’s new to me - will investigate
  9. House of Cards - loved the original (rewatched it a year or so ago).
  10. Rellik (BBC) - had heard of that. Must take a look as I tend to forget about live TV
  11. Gilmore Girls - my daughter (12) has watched all the series; need to catch up (hope it was all age appropriate)
  12. The OA - seen that, started well, not sure of ending
  13. The Sinner - intriguing
  14. The Dark - Ich spreche kein Deutsch - a film is one thing, a whole series might be too much, though I guess we managed it for The Bridge
  15. Alias Grace - I’ve heard mixed things?
  16. Ozark - saw first episode and should get back to it - forgot about it, thanks!
  17. Master of None - I’ll test that with my wife, comedy is a very personal thing :slight_smile:
  18. The Expanse - finished it already. I did enjoy that (not sure about the plot device in second series, but social aspects interesting)
  19. The Wine Show - yes, must watch that. I actually know Joe Fattorini (the main man), and that is both a good, and bad thing. When you know someone, their on-screen persona can sometimes feel fake - however good
  20. The Good Wife - already seen 2-3 series. Started getting weaker, so explored beyond it
  21. Frankie & Grace - saw that advertised, thanks, will check it out
  22. Last Chance U - not sure my wife would be much into it, but could be interesting
  23. Suits - tried that a few years ago. My wife is a lawyer and certain aspects were hard to “get past” for her - though would be interesting to rewatch and look out for Lady Markle :wink:
  24. Designated Survivor - YES! We are up to date on that one (still coming out weekly). Have to say I enjoyed the first quarter more than the following episodes, but sticking with it
  25. Call My Agent - interessant, merci!
  26. Quarry - don’t think I have Sky Atlantic (I avoid 99% of anything branded Sky normally)

Phew! What a list. Won’t need to go out at all in 2018 at this rate (as long as my wine deliveries keep coming)

As you have an interest in wine @robert_mcintosh :wink: then you’ll enjoy Sour Grapes

http://www.sourgrapesfilm.com/trailer

It’s on Netflix (but irritatingly not available as a DVD)

Oooohhhh!!

Look what has just been announced (exclusive to Netflix, starting 29th December):