01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Favourite artist and track

If you have Amazon Prime, there’s a really interesting documentary especially for Krautrock fans (but he worked with a variety of very interesting post punk artists as well). It features lots of interesting band members including CAN, Killing Joke, Ultravox, DAF, Eurythmics, and various really interesting synth and electronica artists. It’s a really interesting picture of the times as well. I started watching it idly, but it quickly drew me in.

2 Likes

Since the move music has been on the back burner, but I had to sort through all my jazz and rock CDs and the vinyl items I have left and it is interesting what comes up that you have forgotten or just put out of mind, we had such talent in those golden years of the sixties it is easy to forget, these are just two at random that surfaced, both of these were sadly underrated.

This second one is a reminder, whatever happened to all that great black music, most today is rubbish, sad.

Different rendition but IMHO as good as the MBs version but little heard.

1 Like

Both of those are far better than later versions.

1 Like

In this instance, unfortunately I don’t as I loathe to use them but thanks for the heads up !

His production and editing work on the three Neu! LP’s, amongst others, is ground breaking IMO. Fingers crossed the film becomes available to view by other means as I’d love to see it.

I share your misgivings about that company. I do buy from them, but try to limit it to stuff I can’t get elsewhere. If people don’t know it, Just Watch is a great site to show where things are available. That documentary is showing also on Apple TV.

1 Like

Have been listening to a mix from the Beatles on Spotify when Eleanor Rigby came up. I really like this track, not sure why, but it is great.

What is it about this song and Norwegian wood that is so different?

5 Likes

Howard Goodall did a cracking job of explaining the wonders of Eleanor Rigby in this documentary. Basically, the chorus is modern songwriting, but the verses use modes rather the usual pentatonic scales. It makes the song feel strange, dark and old-timey.

Norwegian Wood’s a bit more normal, but there’s a bit of an Indian influence to it - the sitar, for starters, but also the drone-like feeling of the verses.

They’re both absolute gems :+1:t2:

I’m really excited about the ‘Get Back’ documentaries that’ll be available on Disney + from Thursday.

4 Likes

It’s good I subscribed to Disney+ to binge watch everything star wars for the kids to enjoy!

6 Likes

I’m probably going to have to subscribe and then immediately unsubscribe just to watch these bloody documentaries…!

They couldn’t put it on a Freeview channel could they, ohhh no :unamused:

2 Likes

When there’s money to be made? That is not the Beatle way, sadly.

I’m sure you’ll be able to purchase the digital downloads for eye-watering sums in a year’s time if you’re prepared to wait…

1 Like

Loved that documentary! :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s great isn’t it? He did a brilliant one about Sgt Pepper too. He’s also a Radiohead fan, and I’d love to see him doing something similar about their music.

1 Like

For the serious enthusiast Alan Pollack’s song analysis of all the Beatles songs is fascinating. Eleanor Rigby here:

https://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/er.shtml

1 Like

Getting my funk on whilst rotating the laundry…

What an intro! :star_struck:

Hypnotic, layered, driving … for an acid-addled jam band, these guys could really play when they wanted to.

2 Likes

That is great, thank you. I have zero musical education, so I can’t really grasp most of the concepts (yet), but it all does seem to make sense. I do generally enjoy music rooted in folk, so then I understand why Eleanor Rigby would have such an appeal. Started on ‘Get Back’ in my downtime today, looks good on first glance. Like a firs sip of a good wine, it is encouraging.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt, I listened to the 2xLP last night. Not that I should single out any one individual but Tyrone Lampkin’s drumming is fabulous on that record and his Bigfoot moniker well deserved !

2 Likes

It wasn’t quite what I was expecting - they really have included ALL the footage. It’s illuminating to see them massively struggling for inspiration, all the tensions within the band that have built up over the years, and the four of them seeming to not really be clicking at all… and yet they’re working through some absolutely incredible songs that are going to sound fairly amazing a couple of weeks’ later (or months later in the case of stuff that rolled over into Abbey Road).

1 Like

I caught a short interview on radio 4 sometime in the last couple of days (PM show maybe?) with Peter Jackson about this documentary series. He talked about how everyone, himself included, thought the making of Let It Be had been the catalyst for the break up. But, whilst making it, he says he was amazed by how happy everyone was whilst making the album (despite how long it took) and there was really little feel of the end coming.

1 Like

It’s certainly not all doom and gloom. The relationship between Paul and John seems pretty good from what I’ve seen, and they appear to be having fun despite the fairly awful environment - working on new material in a big old warehouse with poor acoustics being filmed all the time would not be my idea of a positive creative situation. Paul and George’s relationship seems pretty dire though.

I think the end of the Beatles was more about people being ready to move on. George was ready to be a bigger creative presence than the structure of The Beatles would allow, and the stuff John was doing with Plastic Ono Band shows him going in a very different direction. The legal mess with Klein and Apple probably made the split become more acrimonious than it might otherwise have been.

1 Like

This is an absolute gem of a film. I doubt I would have found it without your recommendation. :raised_hands: