01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Favourite artist and track

Go Canada!

I have that and the original issue on Kitchenware Records, on vinyl. The acoustic versions added a whole new dimension to these songs. The man is a genius.

@NW3Andre I salute you in your taste! Microdisney and Paddy McAloon! I have I Trawl the Megaherz on CD and it’s wonderful - remember first hearing it on Late Junction.

I was on Radcliffe and Maconie’s The Chain and got High Llama’s Nomads as my continuation track. The researcher said the High Llamas were a favourite of Mark Radcliffe.

1 Like

…and as it’s Friday, what better than some Scottish Happy Miserablism from those West Coast wonders, Camera Obscura?

1 Like

Another evening ends with our jukebox game, whilst enjoying a nightcap of Somerset Cider Brandy (fab, smooth stuff!) :+1:

Last two tracks were:

And

Time for bed, I think :sleeping::sleeping:

5 Likes

That’s a game my friends and I would often play at the end of a long boozy evening pre Covid. Hearing Tom Waits made me revisit this again this morning…

…and it brought a lump to my throat and a tear to the eye. :cry:

3 Likes

Mule Variations is a stunning album!

I may have to put that on now.

1 Like

If you do it would be playing simultaneously in two places at the same time !

2 Likes

Three. I accidentally sync’d my Sonos’ so it’s playing in the living room and the kitchen at the same time.

1 Like

Is it too early for some really cheap brandy in a tin cup?

2 Likes

LOL ! As it’s Sunday morning perhaps sir would like a Cyprus sherry ?

1 Like

Can’t get this out of my head when thinking of Tom Waits

5 Likes

Absolutely brilliant ! That’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, I couldn’t stop laughing, the editing of the song with the film footage is total genius. Still laughing like Muttley as I type. Cheers Nick, I doubt if I’ll see anything better this decade !!! :rofl:

The drinking thread can wait I need to watch it again.

1 Like

There’s a few more Cookie/Waits songs on Youtube.

1 Like

There’s more ? OMG. Thanks for the heads up, time to sign off and watch my new favourite thing !

Must listen to more Afrobeat!

3 Likes

Don’t get me started with African Pop…

and although not African, you can’t leave Kassav’ out (it’s part of the 80s African Pop scene too) - this clip was filmed there…

4 Likes

There’s an interesting Fela Kuti documentary on the iPlayer at the moment.

Which prompted me to start ploughing through this again…

…46 LP’s for a tenner back in the day. The musicians sure can groove, Tony Allen’s drumming is wonderous !

4 Likes

I love Cheb Khaled!

Didi takes me back about ten years to a sticky dancefloor in Barometre in Hamra :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

I will never think of Tom Waites in the same way again… :dizzy_face:

Genius indeed! I couldn’t stop laughing…!

2 Likes