01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Favourite artist and track

After 12 years, Manchester’s A Certain Ratio put out a new album (ACR Loco) and I can’t stop listening to this:

1 Like

Great clip. But what is he wearing on his legs??

Also, I didn’t realise that for Cathedral his right hand stays glued to the volume control, creating the effect while his left hand does everything with hammer-ons and pull-offs.

He was quite something.

1 Like

No matter how many times you listen to it, there is always something new. I keep coming back to this solo from time to time, even though I know nothing about playing the guitar.

1 Like

Much as I love that album, I could never quite justify picking up that version of it. I did buy the single blister pack version twice though. My dad chucked away the packaging the first time round, thinking it was rubbish :flushed::scream:

2 Likes

I would have been mortified too !

The packaging of some of their CD’s is sublime. The embossed face, which changes in expression dependant on the angle it’s viewed at, on Let It Come Down especially !

1 Like

Best time of the year to revisit a favourite band of my spotty youth:

2 Likes

I was just the other day listening to this on Spotify along with other hard rock / heavy metal anthems.

1 Like

nice little read on synth/keyboard players…in what appears to be a well written and thought out “top” article

Dave Greenwood a fav and a sad loss…was meant to see the farewell tour last month, now in April…but likely to be much later…if at all :frowning:

This is coming up in a few minutes - Judee Sill - definitely worth a listen!

(Just to say, it’s available on Sounds if you missed it)

4 Likes

Can’t see clearly what the box condition looks like, but an intact set like this would probably go for somewhere between £150 - £200, which isn’t too shabby!

1 Like

Great band, great tune. Never saw them live which is a regret. I was also massively into Loop who had quite a bit in common.

2 Likes

As per new, it’s been in a cupboard for 23 years, wrapped in kitchen foil, to prevent light damage !

Hmm, £150 would buy a lot of wine these days. Mind you, £70, would have done the same in 1997.

Unsurprisingly, the same here. Like some of S3’s releases, original vinyl can fetch a pretty penny now. Not that I’m tempted to sell as they still get played and bring back many nostalgic memories.

2 Likes

I’m revisiting this. It’s Weyes Blood working with Drug Dealer - it’s sort of dreamlike and deeply strange, and feels like it popped out of a time machine from the mid '70s, done by a bunch of futurists trying to capture the ennui they imagined might be the future. Or something.

2 Likes

This is quite timely, from these Factory Records perennials:

1 Like

Her Front Row Seat To Earth LP is rather good too.

1 Like

@Inbar likes Leviation and @Embee is a Spiritualized fan, so it’s time to drop one from these guys:

This album has recently been made available across major streaming platforms, and it’s worth a listen.

5 Likes

Happy memories of listening to this album to death in my late teens… The past really is a foreign country :relieved:

2 Likes

I shall check it out!

1 Like

In my mid-teens I was in a band that played a cover of Shine On. Bloody awful we were too!

Thankfully zero evidence of that band exists anywhere (as far as any of us is aware!).

5 Likes

They are/were an interesting bunch. Terry Brickers was definitely a huge asset, and his departure triggered a re-evaluation without much of a change in direction. I managed to see them live once, and it didn’t disappoint. Massive first album though. Fully realized and every song a triumph. Few bands managed to do that in the 80s and 90s.

1 Like