01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Favourite artist and track

First time I came across Maggot Brain, back in the day, was with Michael Hampton on lead, on the EP that came with One Nation Under A Groove. It blew my teenage mind. Some ten years later I finally heard Eddie Hazel’s original take which was on another level again !

Interesting back story to it too, Clinton to a tripping Hazel, play it like your mother just died ( and Eddie really loved his mum ).

1 Like

I really enjoyed the Puerto Rico/ New York /Nuyorican episode (3). Disgusting the way Puerto Rico was treated by The Orange One in the White House. If anyone wants a recommendation of a terrific album to enjoy with this there’s the wonderful Nuyorican Soul album with people like Little Louie Vega etc.

2 Likes

Hejira is my favourite too. Hugely benefits from the musical input of Jaco Pastorius. Her earlier stuff just isn’t “musical” enough for me.

Fave artist… almost impossible to say. Caetano Veloso? As a musician Paco de Lucia? As a singer Camarón de la lsla?

Paranoid turns 50 tomorrow:

Bill’s drumming :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

He’ll outlive us all, I reckon :grinning:
We played it just the other evening… :+1: Man, I just love their heaviness… Brilliant!

2 Likes

Now I come to think of it, a lot of pretty amazing albums are going to be turning 50 over the next couple of years…

You can tell on I’m a different planet at the moment…! Of course it’s the album turning 50 (which frankly, I still can’t quite believe - but maybe it’s because I’m heading that way!! :scream:)… Sheesh, I’m losing the plot! :woman_facepalming:

(Come to think of it Paranoid is an adjective that fits the man to a tee…!)

2 Likes

I do think that a still-alive Ozzy is a medical marvel and that he should be studied to find out how on earth he survived everything he put his poor body through over so many years…

1 Like

Some people, like cockroaches, can survive anything. John Cooper-Clarke is another one who just keeps on trucking. Plus he ended sharing a flat in Manchester with Nico. I mean, Nico.

John Cooper Clarke And Nico - Heroin-addict house share - a kind of ‘On the Buses’ style family comedy?

4 Likes

He’s really quite something! Keith Richards is another one that comes to mind… And the mind boggles!

2 Likes

And back to topic I still remember the first time I heard Sunday Morning off the Warhol album. Ah.

1 Like

Here’s another one people shouldn’t be without. Hammond Song by the Roches (with Robert Fripp on guitar).

3 Likes

I think I’ll pass…! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like this one:

5 Likes

Great LP might have to spin that this weekend

I was reminded earlier in the week (by instagram) that the debut Counting Crows album “August and Everything After” is 27 years old !

It really did launch them to stardom…although releasing the title track 26 years after the album is a brave move ! The lyrics on the album cover are those to the title track

It was only recently that I realised it was produced by the legend T bone Burnett and Maria ‘bring me heaven’ McKee was on backing vocals.

Have been lucky enough to see them live (Forum, London on recovering the satellites tour) and they were fabulous…a cold November London day and their warm up track was Mamas and Papas ‘California Dreaming’ so apt

2 Likes

And a 60th anniversary:

4 Likes

This featured regularly on my ‘discman’ ( :scream:) on the 4 hours’ bus journey from home to my army base, back in 1993. Was especially moving during the winter journeys for some reason… Might have to listen to it again!.. Then again, perhaps too evocative at the moment.

1 Like

Discman…how posh! what was wrong with a walkman :rofl:

I will be back for a complete listen later…do go and listen to the title track - released as an amazon original of all things !

1 Like