01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Famous wine quotes?

This has to be my favourite, from Hillaire Belloc

"I forget the name of the place; I forget the name of the girl; but the wine was Chambertin”

“Nothing makes the future look so bright as surveying it through a glass of chambertin.” Athos.

Excerpt From: Dumas, Alexandre. “The Three Musketeers“

To the surprise of probably no-one, I think Hemingway put it best:

“Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.”

Sir Winston Churchill on Champagne:

"‘In success you deserve it and in defeat, you need it.’

As you say Bb, not much of a surprise from Hemingway given his drinking record but, for an author who advocated a terser style, that’s a long sentence

Funny how the quotes get attributed to different people… I have seen both of the below credited to Napoleon, too :slight_smile:

‘During one of my treks through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. We were compelled to live on food and water for several days.’ - W.C. Fields

Seen on a t-shirt recently:

"A day without wine is like …

… just kidding! I have no idea!"

Hmmm, I guess it doesn’t mean its a bad quote though.

“I drink champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone.
When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”

Lily Bollinger

In Vino Veritas - Pliny

“In wine there is truth”

"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."
Homer, Odyssey

It’s amazing how well-known, either partly or wholly, this quote is. That says a lot for the marketing efforts of the champagne industry. I wonder if LB actually devised this or was it written for her. Either way it’s a good piece of writing - great use of contrasts and irony with superb bathos to finish.

“Forget the banking and stuff the wool trade, let’s make Champagne”
Barbe-Nicole Cliquot on hearing her husband had died.
Well, maybe not exactly, but she did make some good champagne and invented riddling along the way.
Winston Churchill was alleged to have said. “Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, its Champagne”. Maybe we’ll see that in the forthcoming movie?

“Beer is made by men, wine by God.”
― Martin Luther

Perhaps dementia wasn’t recognised as such when Belloc was around?

‘I drink therefore I am’ - an insight from professor Roger Scruton’s A Philosopher’s Guide to Wine, highly amusing read. Bloomsbury £14.99. Quote: ‘Gentlemen don’t drink Burgundy after lunch’. There are other lines there, like ‘Spain is not really a country’ etc

Didn’t the Monty Python Philosopher’s song state " … I drink therefore I am". Which came first the sketch or Scruton’s quote?

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W C Fields

Well the book is recent - but I am sure Scruton arrived at this discovery independently through his own research