01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Family hummus recipe

recipe

Here’s my mum’s hummus recipe. She can’t remember where she got it from, but she assures me it wasn’t from her own mother (her parents came from Yemen, and hummus wasn’t their thing):

Mama Galinsky’s hummus:

Makes about 750 grams or thereabouts

400 gr dried chickpeas
3-4 garlic cloves (depends on how garlicky you like your hummus)
Half a teaspoon baking soda
Juice from one (large) lemon
Reserved chickpeas cooking water (about 120ml)
2 and a half teaspoons of salt (freshly ground it best)
250ml Tahini

To garnish: Za’atar, pine nuts, olive oil and paprika + parsley if you fancy

• Soak the chickpeas overnight (at room temp) in a deep pot/bowl in plenty of cold water.
  • The next day, drain the chickpeas, cover with about 4 inches of fresh cold water, add the baking soda, mix and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Skim the foam with a large spoon, lower heat, cover and cook for about an hour, mixing quite forcefully from time to time (as this will help remove the skins), until the chickpeas are very soft and almost falling apart
  • Ideally remove as much of the skins as possible, as this will give a much smoother texture
  • Keep about 120ml of the cooking water and drain the chickpeas in a colander. Wash them with cold running water to cool them down to room temperature
  • Put most of the cooked chickpeas in a food processor (keep some for topping the hummus). Add the garlic cloves, lemon juice, the reserved cooking water and salt, and blend for 3 minutes until smooth
  • Add the tahini and blend for another 7-8 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Add more of the cooking water if you feel the hummus is too thick
  • Let the hummus rest and thicken for about 30 minutes.
  • Serve in a flat bowl, topped with the saved whole chickpeas, a splash of olive oil, some pine nutes and Za’atar. Sprinkle a bit of paprika on top too, and scatter some parsley leaves if you fancy.
    Enjoy! :grin:

PS- In Israel we often serve the hummus with a tahini sauce in middle of it (so the hummus is placed ‘around’ the tahini. If you can’t get your hands on a ready-made one, it’s easy enough to make (your Tahini paste tub should have the recipe for that).

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI
Vegan Wines: Trend or Wake-Up Call?

Very grateful to you @Inbar for sharing this as I’m a huge hummus fan (as, I gather are @danchaq, @Leah and @tfpywfpy). Sadly my wife can’t eat garlic, so we rarely have it any more, but I may just have to try making something myself and see how I might vary it to suit her.

What is the wine match for when you are eating hummus anyway? Something white and refreshing I imagine, but what exactly??

Ah! problems with garlic are familiar! My other half can’t eat raw garlic. The first meal I ever cooked for him, when we started going out, had plenty of it- which was a major faux pas!! :crazy_face:
What we do these days, which seems to work great (as there is no way I can bring myself to omit it)- is always either fry the garlic first -or roast it lightly if the oven is going anyway - and then incorporate it into the hummus or salad dressings, or whatever, as per usual. If this is your wife’s problem with garlic- maybe you can try this alternative?

As for wine- funnily enough, I don’t think white would go well with it. Chickpeas have this really earthy flavour, so I would go for an earthy/simple Côtes du Rhône or a weighty rosé - like a rosé from Navarra, for example.
Victoria Moore suggests a Sangiovese, but I haven’t tried this pairing as yet, though can see what she means. :yum:

oooh @Inbar, thank you sooo much, im off to buy chickpeas today as there’s a “party in the park” on Saturday evening so I’ll take it along to impress the other girls :joy:! I’m really looking forward to tying it. thanks so much:yum:

That looks deeelicious @Inbar! I miss proper good Levantine hummus :yum:

Glad you both like the look of it- I’ll pass your thanks to my mum! :blush:
One thing I would say is - always taste it as you go along; some people like it very garlicky, or with less tahini or lemon… it’s one of these recipes I think you end up doing ‘by eye’ depending on individual taste.
Hope it works for your party in the park, @leah! Make sure you bring lots of pittas to go with it… mmmm! :heart_eyes:

carrot sticks… save the carbs for the wine :joy::rofl::rofl:

That’s good too! A British twist on the Middle East! Not the first one, either :wink: Hope it goes well :crossed_fingers::stuffed_flatbread::carrot:

Thank you for sharing @Inbar, that is kind. We both love hummus so will definitely give this a go.

Sounds great Inbar. Thanks. I eat a fair amount of pulses and am always looking for new recipes.

I think I will try this recipe, thanks for sharing. That sounds like a lot of tahini… where do you normally source it from?

Yes, I agree! I actually don’t like a huge amount of Tahini paste in it- but I guess it’s up to the individual’s taste. I think that’s why it’s best to taste the hummus as you’re making it. Most supermarkets do Tahini paste these days. Sainsbury’s does it for £2
think, as does Waitrose and M&S. I’m sure Tesco does one too. It’s normally hidden in the ‘world food’ section.
Tahini is lovely on its own, as well (i.e. making the paste into the actual Tahini). I used to have a recipe that used it with fish, but can’t find it for the life of me!

Well @Inbar, I could only find Argentina chick peas and Macedonian Tahini but tonight I’ll be trying the recipe … wish me luck :joy::wink:

Fantastic, @Leah! :+1::+1: really hope it works!.. :pray: it’s fairly easy, really, once the boring bit of soaking them over night is over.
Have a fun day in the park! :wink:

All done @Inbar, tastes great too! thank you :blush:

Brilliant!! :+1::grinning::grinning:
You can drizzle some olive oil on it and sprinkle a bit if parsley/ pinch of paprika before you serve (mind you no one will probably notice if you’re out in the park!).
Hope you got good weather for the party! It’s gorgeous here today in Brighton :sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

Thanks for this @Inbar, I love hummus but have never attempted my own so I think I’ll have to give it a try! Without causing too much controversy has anyone ever had dessert hummus? And if yes what’s it like?!
https://delightedbyhummus.com/

Thank you so much for sharing @Inbar!

I’ve been making my own for years, starting with canned chickpeas when I was in uni and moving to dried ones a few years ago (much better, worth the extra time and effort). I’ve always used a fair bit of olive oil actually IN the hummus, which is contrary to your recipe and the other two or three that were shared previously. I’ve felt that my nice olive oil gets lost, and the bottle of EV oil I use for cooking doesn’t make much of a difference, but I just assumed(!) it went in as well as being used as a garnish. I’m really looking forward to my next batch without it, I’m hoping it will let the chickpea flavour shine through more (like when it finally clicked I should be using the cooking water), and I can then drizzle a bit of the Good Stuff on top and let it compliment the whole thing.

Re: Tahini … I’ve got a few shops near me that stock several brands. I like the one I’m using now more than the jar Waitrose stocks, and it’s cheaper.

As for drinks, I’ve never got a wine to work quite right with it. An ice cold lager is lovely though!

Was very happy to share, @danchaq! :grinning:
I was inspired myself to make mum’s recipe this week, as my daughter is definitely a bit of a hummus monster! My god, she can get through the stuff…! :grimacing:
Anyway, it came out really lovely, and I thought would last for a few days, but said hummus monster + husband (simply a monster) nearly finished the tub already!! There’s something addictive about the stuff :grin:
Hope it works for you. It’s always good to try different recipes of it… :+1:

Chick peas on the stove as I type. Really look forward to tasting this. As per @danchaq all the recipes I’ve tried in the past involve adding oil to the hummus recipe rather than just as a garnish. I always felt this a bit over the top so will be interesting to see how this goes. Must remember to keep the cooking water!

Do you have a recommended wine match?