01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Explaining corked in Spanish?

Faced with an obviously corked wine in a hotel restaurant in Puno, Peru, I tried to explain what was wrong. Corked never came in my Spanish lessons,and (fortunately) I hadn’t faced the problem before. Google translate and other online attempts produced things likes ‘taste of cork’, sabor de corcho, which probably isn’t much less informative than ‘corked’ to a non-expert, but didn’t help. The waiter was very helpful (he immediately offered another Chardonnay or another bottle of the same wine), but showing TCA in full didn’t help him, either. I finally settled for describing it as an infection of the cork, and something that sometimes happens, and he interpreted this as the cork being in a ‘malo estado’, which was close enough, but can anyone help with something clearer? (The next bottle of the same wine was good.) Unfortunately most Peruvian wines seem to use corks.

“Echado a perder” perhaps. Which translates as “spoiled”.

El olor a corcho

El TCA (tricloroanisol) es el famosísimo olor a corcho en el vino. Este defecto se percibe solamente en nariz y boca. El vino tendrá un aspecto sano pero, el olor a corcho o cartón mojado estará presente. En boca se percibirá igualmente, dejando un sabor desagradable en el paladar

Cómo saber si un vino está echado a perder

Sounds like a widely available over the counter haemorrhoid preparation. Maybe it’s the scent similarity?

Sounds like piles of fun.

Maybe that’s where the ‘bunch of grapes’ description came from?

You guys! :see_no_evil::laughing:

Seriously though, what a great question (and I’ll try and remember the answer). Anyone know how to say ‘corked’ in other languages? French? Italian?

French: 'ce vin est bouchonné, or ‘ce vin a le gout du bouchon’. Also, see ‘foutu’ :wink:

Italian: ‘questo vino sa di tappo’

Mais qu’est-ce que j’ai dit?? :wink:

Yes, please send in any other languages. Only another 2 nights in Peru, so I hope I won’t need to try all of the above,. Thank you for all the responses.

Unfortunately I can’t help you with how to say it in quechua or aymara - but you could also try: “el corcho olia mal / podrido” (rotten) :nauseated_face:

Maybe stick to beer instead of wine if you’re really worried? Cosqueña is quite nice when you come back down from a few days hiking in the Cordillera Vilcanota…

Would Hebrew be of any use…?! :wink:

Could you not just douse a cardboard box with some of the wine and hold it up? :smiley:

Good question, I think in Spain we just say that it smells of cork “huele a corcho”. Or that the cork has a fault “el corcho es defectuoso”.

Always interesting to spot subtle differences between Spanish in Spain and from Latin America…

Thank you for all the suggestions. If it happens again tonight or tomorrow I’ll try ‘el corcho es defectuoso’ as that seems to cover it, and only go further in explaining the problem if that doesn’t produce another bottle. (I had had to explain to a maintenance man that a light had an intermittent flicker earlier in the evening, so the corked bottle wasn’t the worst linguistic problem…)

Next question, in case it happens in Vienna in December, German?

Sorry for the late replies, but there is a 6 hour time difference.

Verkorkter Wein apparently :laughing: