01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Exhibition Range

Ok new topic, what’s the deal with the exhibition Range. On strong advice from a MW I ve bought the Nebbiolo on the understanding that it’s ( in their opinion) the finest example retail to date. Can the same be said for all the Ex wines?

2 Likes

I would say that they are an excellent, middle of the road, introduction to the wines of a specific region. Gives you a very good idea of the style and then it’s up to you, to explore further. Vastly superior to anything that you would find in a supermarket and invariably, very good value for what you get. The Langhe Nebbiolo has had very good reviews and I have really enjoyed the Californian Pinot Noirs and the Monthelie (Burgundy) that they used to stock. From my experience, you can’t go wrong.

14 Likes

Except perhaps the Pomerol… (personal opinion, plays get-out-of-jail-free card)

3 Likes

Exhibition Chenin (from Chris Alheit - South Africa) and New Zealand exhibition Chardonnay (from Kumeu River) were both excellent. I enjoyed the Langhe Nebbiolo, it was great value.

Should really try a few more, but as @Templeton says, they offer (one aspect at least) typicity of a particular region and I think value is prioritised over cost.

6 Likes

Another advocate here for the Langhe Nebbiolo.

TWS have also doubled down on the excellent 2019 with another top offering with their Cape Chenin

Their Crozes Hermitage can be excellent. 2015 anyone?

On the whole, I find the range pretty consistent with some real highs like the three wines mentioned. No real duffers.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought of the Exhibition range as a classic example of the range or style. A good jumping off point to be more adventurous if you want to discover more about the region or also a great ‘steady eddy’ style, at an incredible price, that is not going to disappoint or surprise you.

5 Likes

I’m just about to finish the Exhibition Sancerre - not necessarily the very best Sancerre I’ve ever had, but it was delicious and VGV.

4 Likes

You beat me to the post!

1 Like

Value over cost can you explain further?

Ok so if the exhibition Range is a good jumping off point for regional exploration are the society wines not so and by that I mean the poorer cousin of the grape varieties?

I don’t think poorer cousin is a fair explanation. I think they are different wines at different price points. Eg Rioja, the society wine is a great Crianza and the Exhibition is a great Reserva.

5 Likes

Quite a few retailers offer something similar. Some truly great wines can be offered for VFM in this way.

For impartiality, I’ve enjoyed the Majestic definition La Rioja Alta wine for example.

I’ve not tried this but keen to hear about this Ridge. I’ve not been a fan of the east bench but I’ve always enjoyed Geyserville and Lytton springs.

And is this any good? I like ABC.

5 Likes

As a range I’m not sure it’s as consistent or reliable as perhaps TWS would like. I think some are terrific and very good value (eg Rioja Reserva and Fleurie) and some are disappointingly mediocre (eg CNDP and Hawke’s Bay red).

There is also a bigger price spectrum than you might assume at the outset too. That’s fine, of course, but something to be aware of. In general, I’d say definitely worth exploring but don’t expect to hit the Langhe Nebbiolo heights with every bottle you open.

2 Likes

Those are a couple of decent looking “own label” wines!

I’ve always found the Exhibition wines to be tremendous value. Never had a dud (although I still have many to try)

3 Likes

Just my opinion, but with exhibition range I think the intention is to make a really good example of that particular region / appellation. It’s got to be a reasonable price but not the lowest possible price.

I also don’t think they scrimp on producers for the exhibition range and for the money, you (generally) get an awful lot of wine.

6 Likes

Yes, this is an excellent wine. You will not be disappointed. Quite fruit forward, from recollection but not overly so, definitely a crowd pleaser.

2 Likes

I’ve not had the BBR bottling, but a word of caution; you name three Ridge wines, two have a blend of Zinfandel and complementary varieties, one is 100% Zin. The latter is the East Bench which you don’t like. The BBR Zin doesn’t say that it’s a blend with other varieties, so its more likely to be like East Bench than the others

2 Likes

I am disappointed that the Exhibition Kanonkop Pinotage 2018 is £11.95 at TWS, yet the Kanonkop Kadette Pinotage 2018 (which is the same wine) is only 4p more expensive at Majestic, and for that 4p you get the much more informative Kanonkop back label.

I’d assumed for the Exhibition labelling TWS would have got an unbeatable price.

2 Likes

I’ve had mixed experiences with the Exhibition range. I really liked the Californian Zinfandel, Californian Pinot Noir and Limari Chardonnay. Others I have not been so impressed with including a Chilean cabernet, Argentine Malbec, Rioja and Central Otago Pinot.

The Australian Shiraz I have seen getting praised on here but having had it a few times, I really don’t think it’s very good, or at least it’s not to my taste.

I think my point is that, at least in my experience, the range is pretty inconsistent. The good ones are decent value for money.

1 Like

I highly recommend the Rheingau Riesling, a relatively recent addition I believe. And I had the Côte de Brouilly a couple of years ago which was delicious, not sure if it’s still in the range. I really miss the Monthelie which disappeared a few years ago I think.

On its day the Rioja Reserva can be brilliant value, my notes say the 2008, not a particularly good Rioja vintage iirc, was great when I last had it in 2016. But the 2010 wasn’t as good, or perhaps I had it too young.

Jim

3 Likes