01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Exhibition Hermitage Rouge 2014

I saw that @Freddy picked this as his staff choice this month, and I’ve tentatively added one to the basket for my next order. I say tentatively, because at £39 it’s a fair chunk more than I usually spend on a bottle, so I’m weighing it up before I take the plunge. I have no previous experience with red Hermitage, but know enough to expect that this is likely to be pretty special. Is anyone else likely to be getting some? Has anyone else tried it yet?

It’s in the enomatics this week. I decided that it was ‘good but not that good’. It doesn’t have the extra depth and persistence that I expect if I go up to a Hermitage. Not as outstanding as the Exhibition Hermitage Blanc.

You’ll have to change your name to Blow-The-Budget Bob :laughing:

I splashed out on this last month for my first Hermitage experience. I knew it’d be way too young but that was in itself a fascinating exercise, trying something top-notch before it’s truly hit its stride.

I made a slightly waffley tasting note over the course of two days, but the short version is that I found it to be gorgeously complex, tannic as hell and - hard to put into words - tightly packed together, like it really was waiting to gently ease into its best. I’d love to be able to put half a dozen bottles away for about ten years, but there’s no way I’d be able to justify that kind of outlay.

But the pinch of salt is that it was my first go of this appellation, so I don’t know how it compares to others.

Likewise; I picked up two bottles and yes as with @Bargainbob it is right at the top end of my price range. I I’ve only a few times exceeded £40 for a bottle.

It sounds like it was still pretty closed down, @Herbster. I figure I’ll open the first bottle in 3-4 years. I used to think gardening required patience…

Based on the 2010… it is worth skipping 3 other bottles to justify the outlay. Healthier, too.

I bought a bottle of the 2010 a few months ago and that was really at the top of my budget - or so I thought. Since then I have bought a Marc Sorrel Le Greal 2017 for £99 in bond and Jamet 2013 for £100. Neither of those should have been purchase because I now have a poor bank balance.

The trouble is it is like breaking through barriers in anything once you have done it once it becomes easier next time. I am now wrangling with my practical self and my impulse self on whether to splash out on a single bottle of Chave Hermitage 2014 before it is gone forever. All other alternative Chaves seem to be out of reach.

I think I’ll go for it, and sacrifice a couple of lesser bottles to justify it as per @szaki1974’s suggestion. It sounds from @Herbster’s note as if it’s really not for drinking right now, so I’m happy to park it a few years and hopefully catch it when it’s smoothed out a bit.

And I totally get where you’re coming from @Wright1103! I’m pretty sure my average bottle price has risen sharply over the last 2 or 3 years. Looks like I really will have to work on that whole ‘drink less’ thing, because there’s no doubt I’m drinking better.

Ah, the old ‘shifting baseline’ conundrum. I feel your pain. Over the last couple years I’ve definitely noticed that I’m happy to pay between £15-£20 a bottle, even for ‘midweek’ wines - which is quite a jump for me. I am also happy to splash out more regularly than I used to. It’s a difficult one, but like @Bargainbob - I’m definitely drinking much better wines, so there’s no way back.
Less is the way forward, I guess… :thinking:

Many many years ago when I first got into wine moderately seriously (and before a rather long penury enforced abstinence) I realised that the more I drank, the more I appreciated both the joy and subtleties and the more I appreciated them the more expensive I was buying.

We’re doomed, Mainwaring!

doomed

I’d basically agree with this, and it can get to be a problem. Sometimes though, I find that what I really want are things that I don’t need to take too seriously (taste carefully, worry about decanting and food pairing…), and can just enjoy. (Which probably says a lot about me)

I wish it weren’t the case, but that is basically determined by price (above or below £15 roughly). At the moment, for example, I am really quite excited about this arriving tomorrow, and just drinking it.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=SP14361

Does anyone else find this?

Yep, me too! I get this with the Southern Rhône a lot, sub-£10. Pour the sunshine into the glass and take a good gulp. Nothing like it :+1:

Yes you are absolutely right. My spending used to range from £5 to £20; over the last few years the bottom limit has stayed much the same - I still love a good easy drinking glugable simple fruit forward wine - but the upper limit has gradually extended and relatively recently broke the £40 mark and is now heading for the £50 mark. But I only get a small handful at that price in a year (honest… no really it’s true… really…).

So you are right that a good balance is probably the key!

“40 is the new 20”, I keep telling myself.

Applies to age as well as the cost of wine bottles.

In that case I’m lagging; I have to tell myself that 60 is the new 40 :rofl:

Does that mean I can go up to £60 now I wonder?:thinking:

Just blame it on the exchange rate.

i would recommend heading South for better value.
i’ve always found Domaine Alquier’s Faugeres And Domina Gauby La Soula better value than the wine you mention. May not be 100% Syrah though Like a hermitage.