01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Euro 2020(1)

We’ve got cricket, F1, rugby, cycling and American sport discussions on here - surely I’m not the only football fan?!

Ireland didn’t qualify for the Euros (and look unlikely to get to a tournament for a very long time) but I’m loving this competition as a neutral. It’s so good having spectators back in stadiums again, even in limited numbers. It’s like a completely different sport from the soulless closed-door football we’ve endured. The emotion and atmosphere at Denmark v Belgium on Thursday was amazing.

Who’s caught your eye so far, a week in? Italy are the obvious stand-outs. Two 3-0 wins playing superb attacking football. France looked good in spells against Germany. And Portugal are real masters of these tournaments.

Scotland were absolutely heroic last night, felt they deserved to win. A great example of how team spirit, passion and organisation can bridge a supposedly big gap in ability. But I think we’ll see a much better England in the knock-out stages.

3 Likes

We live in strange times.

2 Likes

They seemed to be playing a match against another country, which, although the outright favourites, behaved like “Little England”.

1 Like

Agree…I’ve always had a soft spot for the Italian national team even if they’ve made it hard for us to like them with defensive but effective football.

This team plays the most flamboyant, entertaining football since the Italians hosted the World Cup in 1990. They’re a likeable group of players and seem to love playing in this tournament, which hasn’t always seemed the case with previous Italian squads. I like the way Mancini had raided the smaller clubs like Sassuolo and has uncovered top players like Locatelli and Berardi.

In defence maybe, but the only way to win a match is to score goals and there wasn’t much evidence that this could happen anytime soon.

Not sure I’d agree! One of the things I loved about Scotland last night was how they resisted the temptation to dig in defensively for a draw and took the game to England. The stats show they had more shots on/off target than England, and Dykes, O’Donnell and Adams (twice) all had very good chances to win it.

2 Likes

I guess the stats don’t lie, but skying shots over the bar is not too much of a threat. I could just as easily criticise England for their tactics too. In all not an enjoyable game to watch in my opinion.

Scotland are a very average team in international football terms.
England were dreadful last night. Disjointed, played without any confidence let alone aggression. Apart from Foden no English player seemed to have any determination to run at defenders. Constant backwards diagonal passing and high crossfields balls got them nowhere.
If the thinking in the England camp is, we only need a point from our last game to qualify, then they risk losing.
England are light years behind teams like Italy and France.
Southgate does not fill me with confidence. I am not convinced he can galvanise the England team to believe in themselves.

3 Likes

England were very poor IMO last night, yet they had the chances to win. The constant backwards and cross field passing has gone on for years…didn’t they say Ray Wilkins could only pass sideways? (I might have made that up). There was no urgency from anyone. And don’t get me started on playing out from the back…get the ball up the field man!

2 Likes

It is down to expectations v realism in my view. Having listened to Talk Sport and the inevitable fall-out from not winning last night the same old negativity descends.

England are a good squad with good players. They are however not the best players in the tournament nor the best team (i.e heart or unity). However there is an expectation that every game will/must be won and this just won’t happen. They have 4 points from 2 games and will progress - probably to the natural standard of semi-finalists. England have started the tournament solidly if not spectacular against croatia and last night came up against a team that were better on the night.

2 Likes

You most certainly are not.

I’ve absolutely gorged myself on football so far during this Euros. Taking full advantage of working from home, I’ve dragged the old TV downstairs and set it up in view of my ‘office’ set up, so I don’t have to miss a minute.

So far most of the football has been very entertaining. England started brilliantly against Croatia, looking really dangerous for the first 20mins, and while they did well to hang on for the win, they have failed to match that initial high again, and were poor going forward against Scotland last night.

However, getting though the group stage doesn’t mean going all out, we look solid, and we’re well placed to progress. This team has so much attacking talent I’m going to remain optimistic that Southgate can find a way to get them to gel.

Then again, I spent most of last season thinking exactly the same thing about about Mikel Arteta.

4 Likes

Germany/Portugal game was a lesson in top class football. Germany were magnificent. Portugal are an excellent side but were closed down by the Germans who showed other teams how to play football.
Italy seem to be playing very well. France also have a lot of class.
I cannot see England beating a good side…but there again we never beat a good side in the knock out stages of a competition.

2 Likes

Completely agree with this. In my view England does have some really effective and creative attacking players, and they show it every week in the league, but particularly against Scotland they chose to pass back and across rather than attack. Almost as if they lacked confidence.

So we need them to have that confidence and they need to be told to run at the opposition a bit more without it being attack at all costs.

We switched to BT for broadband during lockdown with the result that I have “had” to watch loads of champions league games on bt sport. It seemed even more precious after the last year. So This tournament is an extension of the large amount of football I have watched recently.

1 Like

England - yet again we’ve arrived at a tournament with a ‘golden generation’ but no team. Southgate doesn’t even know his best 11.
When we go out it will be “it came too early for this group of players but watch us by the next tournament”

1 Like

Although Footie is not my game, a word for a Welsh Team :dragon_face: who have got to the last 16 in the two most recent Euro Championships.
We should all get behind our Home Nations!! :clap: :clap: :dragon:

4 Likes

Wales played very well against Italy. Stout defence despite a man sent off.

Notwithstanding the fact that results have now guaranteed England a place in last 16 they need to play tomorrow night as if they have to win to qualify. Nothing less will do.

Well done the Welsh team. A bit of a worry that their main man Bale has so far missed a penalty and a sitter, and that they have to play Denmark in the next round. But they are still in there.

Good luck to England for tomorrow. They are not on top form and played very conservatively against Scotland, but a draw was a better result for England than it was for Scotland. I hope they do better tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Whilat Gary Neville and Ian Wright in post match analysis seemed full of the usual patriotic fever: “job done boys” the issue is whether we can raise our game against either France, Germany or Portugal in next round.
I am not convinced. Our group was relatively easy yet England laboured against Scotland, and did nothing in 2nd half against an ordinary Czech side.

2 Likes

Sure it was “job done” but England will have to “up their game” against whoever they play in the next round. I really don’t rate their chances against the likes of Germany, France, Spain et al. I do hope to be proven wrong :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Uninspiring and frequently ordinary. That would be my assessment so far of England. Players out of their natural positions. No game plan (aided by a lack of crucial team building training sessions) ends up exposing what this team really is. Nevertheless, I have seen mediocrity being rewarded in football many times, so keep your hopes high. For the gang of millionaires with 3 Lions on the chest: I know you can do best.

1 Like