01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Eto - getting to know a new gadget

gadget
decanter

I have had the second glass of the wine. It is still great, a bit more open. Should have had a second bottle as control to see the difference, will do that for the next one.

It is also a very nice object. Will revisit in 2 days.

Day 4, wine still very good. Seems I have been drinking it faster than planned. In any case, nit many bottles will live to see more than 4 days open, so far so happy. Will check back on Wednesday.

Must be pouring too genorously :wine_glass:

The website says

Decant your whole bottle into eto to open up the wine and bring out its character.

‘Opening up’ suggests that by decanting the wine you are exposing it to oxygen, so I am not convinced that this device will make much difference to a wine already aerated by decanting.

But I won’t be trying it myself for not only is it very expensive but I think it’s ugly. :unamused:

I don’t think it is really meant to make a difference to a wine that has already been decanted. The idea is, I think, to use it as a decanter to open up the wine as with any decanter. And then to use the plunger/valve system so there is no longer any air in contact with the wine so that it does not continue to oxidise. It is intended as a way of keeping an wine once opened in good condition over several days (up to a week to 10 days I seem to remember) and do so much better than other systems like the vacuum pumps.

The aesthetics of it are, of course, a personal thing.

Finished this yesterday, was still good, so the device works for me. I poured another bottle into it. This I will leave for 6 days before I first try… again struggled with pouring the full bottle, must be me.

Thanks for this test and learn @szaki1974: may have to get myself one now. :+1:

Just wanted to quickly mention about that cork from the initial post, looks like its a high end technical synthetic seal made by Ardea Seal and there is mention of Domaine Ponsot and the use of the seal in the article below:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2012/09/closures-part-4-synthetic-solution-for-grand-cru-burgundy/

http://www.ardeaseal.com/gb/index.html

It also looks like Mac Forbes also uses this seal as well for his high end single vineyards.

Looking at the Ardea seal site it seems that its made from 3 parts, a chassis which gives structure to the cork, the body which is slightly elastic to seal against the glass and the shield at the bottom which is the only part that touches the wine - which is chemically inert.

I’ve come across them a couple of times, notably with Olivier Leflaive whites. They are not without their detractors.

9 days ago I poured another wine and left the eto on the kitchen counter (out of direct sunlight might I say)…

First glass with some sweet chilli stir fry, very nice. The wine has developed slowly in the eto and is drinking great today, better than on opening with only the slightest trace of oxidation. I am liking my gadget more and more.

I also checked the thread on JR’s forum, consistent with my experience so far.

Weekend Drinking Thread [8-10 Feb 19]