01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Emojis and the Likes

After a few years of using the :heart: icon to express ourselves wordlessly, what are the chances some TWS developer can allow a wider use of emojis to be attached to posts (as per reactive emojis on WhatsApp)?

Does anyone think that would make things better or worse?

4 Likes

Interesting you raise this as I’ve been wondering the same myself [for indicating reaction/s to a post].

For instance, I’ve thought for a while now that I’d sometimes like to be able to react with a smiling-laughing face for some of the wit & humour one finds on here. And of course a drooling-face for @robertd dishes [not a serious suggestion!]

Having access to just the single :heart: emoji to express oneself does seem a bit more limiting than things could be.

But neither IMO do we want a zillion different ones available, I don’t think. I’m talking say 3 different ones to enable different reactions of agree / like / laugh.

2 Likes

Might be a good idea, to go with our all singing all dancing new website!!

1 Like

I detect a level of cynicism

3 Likes

:slight_smile: here you go, it already exists. Press : then ) and click (more) and you can insert all manner of emojis.

But not me - it lowers the tone.

:slight_smile: :wine_glass:

1 Like

Thanks @lapin_rouge

What I’m meaning though is the current situation of having just the one single response choice :heart: to “like” a comment / photo etc ; I’m not talking about the in-text emojis themselves - there are certainly plenty of them available. And like yourself, I don’t like to see loads of them in a post!

1 Like

I think Michael Broadbent, Hugh Johnson, Robert Parker, Edmund Penning-Rowsell et al missed out a lot on preceding the emoji generation! (sigh!). However did they cope?

2 Likes

So a diverse bunch

2 Likes

:frowning::confused::slightly_frowning_face::neutral_face::yum::grinning::grin::heart_eyes::partying_face::exploding_head:

The new 10 point scoring system.

18 Likes

I could only ever bring myself to use the last 3

6 Likes

This is similar to my wife’s patented scoring system :smiley:

2 Likes

:nauseated_face:

Haven’t you ever had one of these?

4 Likes

Emoji based tasting notes?

:slight_smile: :cherries: :slight_smile: :strawberry: :slight_smile: :fallen_leaf:

5 Likes

In theory perhaps better, but for reasons which I cannot articulate well I fear that in practice it might be a step on the trail of dumbing down. Just not sure why.

Mmm. Maybe because emojis can be interpreted differently by different people and I feel that if something is worth saying it’s worth trying to say it as clearly as possible. Too serious?

:clap:t3: :wink:

9 Likes

The only other forum I spend time on (a book reading one) has a choice of 6 emojis for liking, or more accurately, responding to a post with hundreds available for inline use. They cover: like, love, ROFL, shocked, frown and angry. It works well and would be a useful addition, but maybe only once they’ve actually got all the key features fully working!

3 Likes

Looks easy enough Discourse Reactions - plugin - Discourse Meta

Discourse Reactions allows users to React to a post from a choice of emojis, rather than only the Like heart

3 Likes

Aaaah. Now I get it - and feel a tad foolish!

Personally I like the fact that there is only the :heartbeat: button, it avoids unintentional offence. Which can happen (I’m told) after a glass too many.

2 Likes

Looks like Wine Berserkers has recently switched to Discourse too. They’ve got an example of the choices