01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Eh? Cremant gives "less of a headache than Prosecco "

Indeed most of the Prosecco which makes it over here is “Extra Dry” (RS around 15 and noticeably sweet and pretty horrible imo); occasionally I can find a “Brut” - Waitrose did one recently - but even these are RS 7-9. Only “Extra Brut” gets us down to levels of dryness (RS 6 and below) that we’d expect in a Classic Cuvée brut nature and I’ve never seen that in UK though have sampled at tastings in the Valdobbiadene, and the only Proseccos I’ve actually enjoyed.

3 Likes

Hate the stuff but my wife loves it.
Only time Prosecco made any sense was drinking it above the vineyards near Valdobbiane on the grower’s terrace.

I don’t drink a lot of prosecco mainly because I find it too sweet and lacking in flavour .
By nature of the Glera grape and the climate it is grown in, it retains more residual sugars in the grape than other sparkling wine varieties.
However, I make some exceptions which include wines from the hill of cartizze, and the proseccos of Ruggeri among others .
I will also not offend a host by rejecting a glass of Prosecco at a gathering & keep my fingers crossed it’s not Asda’s £6 offering :see_no_evil::pray:! (Sorry @winechief :joy:).

2 Likes

Not sure that accurately explains the range of sweetness of the grades of Prosecco does it ; as they do add dosage to their tank cuvées and control / manage the RS that way.

4 Likes

Right, but they can only manage it one way with dosage. @leah’s point was that a Prosecco is more likely to have more RS even before dosage, I think.

1 Like

I read this initially as ‘Cement is cheaper than Champagne but tends to give you’…etc

Yes indeed! But more of a stomach ache?

2 Likes

This was exactly my point, thanks @szaki1974 for making my point more clear :joy:

They could still ferment it down to dry - the ABV would just be higher. I think it’s more to do with lower acidity levels in fully ripened glera not offsetting the sweetness in the mouthfeel, and the production of a product which appeals to the consumer who buys it . I think we are all agreed that your typical UK imported Prosecco tastes a bit too sweet come what may, but I repeat my point that there is such a thing as Extra Brut Prosecco which is manifestly dry !

Yet can still have up to 6g/L like in Champagne under the extra brut category with the role of the dosage to balance the acidity . This is more important in younger wines .
The perception of acidity tends to round out with age and you’re not going to get that with Prosecco as it is predominantly made in an early drinking style.
Therefore less dosage is needed in wines that will sit on Lees for any period and we know that generally speaking Prosecco isn’t made like that.
There is also no Nature Brut allowed in Prosecco doc or docg so to reiterate the point, yes Prosecco as a general rule, even being made in an Extra Brut style will sit with more residual sugar than a Traditional method Champagne of the same brut classification.

1 Like

I’m going back to the original post as I wonder whether an answer could be the bubbles. I usually find Prosecco too sweet for my taste but surely the main difference between Prosecco and Cremant is the production method, Charmat versus traditional. I understand that gives a different mousse which perhaps could affect ones ingestion/digestion?

Now allowed

Really?

Yup, that was what we were told when I visited wineries in Conegliano Valdobbiadene in 2019 and I’ve just found it here - Discovering Brut Nature - Prosecco.it — Conegliano Valdobbiadene

1 Like

Ok so only in DOCG then?

I dunno, things are changing so fast there. For most of my life Prosecco was made with the Prosecco grape, now its Glera

It was only a few years ago that Marks & Spencer’s shipment of the wittily labelled (I thought) Rosecco (a pink fizzy Italian wine) was impounded and destroyed while the Prosecco authorities expressed horror that anyone could think Prosecco was pink.

Now pink Prosecco is allowed

1 Like

And next they’ll change the allowed grapes in that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

And besides, “Glera” is actually any of three distinctly separate varieties…

Glera Tondo and Glera Lungo being the most recognised. What’s the third?
Bianchetta Trevigiana and Verdiso as far as I’m aware are only allowed in 15% of a Prosecco bottling and only in certain DOCs

according to JR wine grapes … Prosecco Nostrano, aka one of the Malvasias which is grown in Tuscany

1 Like