01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Eh? Cremant gives "less of a headache than Prosecco "

Cremant is cheaper than Champagne but tends to give you less of a headache than Prosecco can. It has soft bubbles, is super refreshing and not too sweet.

• Eleanor Steafel in the Telegraph this weekend.

This is, surely, nonsense. Depends on the ABV of each, and how much you drink. Doesn’t it?

Source
Everything you need to overhaul your drinks trolley for Bank Holiday (telegraph.co.uk)

6 Likes

I believe the amount of sugar can influence headaches. I found this explanation online:

“I don’t know about hydration issues, but the biggest factor in a hangover is the length of time you’re exposed to acetaldehyde (a metabolic byproduct of ethanol in the liver) and to a lesser extent, methanol. It’s hard work for the liver to manage, but it does it like a champ, however sugar competes with alcohol for metabolic resources.
The more sugar you take in along with your alcohol, the longer it’s going to take to break down the most noxious byproducts of ethanol metabolism, and the worse your hangover is.”
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/54nm47/eli5_why_do_sugary_drinks_give_people_worse/

5 Likes

Ah, so I guess this also means don’t drink coffee with sugar in it after wine at dinner.

Re:the sugar explanation, I had it explained to me a while ago (in fact, when I think about it probably 25 years ago), by somebody in the medical profession that consuming sugar in quantity can slow down the absorption rate (or rate of metabolisation) of alcohol on a night out - something to do with lipase increase in the blood after eating maybe? (I’m well outside my comfort zone here!) - and so that’s why, as long as I didn’t mix my favourite sugary tipples (rum and coke etc) with ‘clean’ spirits (vodka etc) I would get drunk more slowly and get less of a hangover - I should add as a caveat that I hadn’t asked for advice on what to do, I was interested as to why I tended to get less drunk when drinking those drinks and why if I mixed I got more drunk and worse hangovers etc etc.

Czarena Crofcheck, Ph.D, a food science professor at the University of Kentucky, says "The body is actually really good at processing sugar, compared to alcohol, so sugar doesn’t affect a hangover. It’s just that sugary drinks are so much easier to drink, so you can lose track of how much you’ve had and push it too far.

But rather than trust “someone on Reddit”, or even a food science professor, at their word, I would like to see real evidence. I couldn’t find any with google, and I bet Eleanor Steafel has none either. My guess is that she was told it by a PR person for a crémant producer

4 Likes

And go easy on the desserts and After Eights. And the Port. Port was the cause of the worst hangover of my life - damn that sugar.

4 Likes

For me that would read “hangovers”. But I wonder how much results from mixing your drinks. Any meal that includes port is also very likely, in my experience, to have included at least two other wines and probably beer or champagne first.

Happy to blame the sugar though.

4 Likes

Another theory is that co-ingesting dissolved CO2 raises the rate of absorption of Alcohol (which is why champers “goes to the head”) so I guess if that particular champagne was fizzier or perhaps drunk immediately or colder (which allows for a greater % solution) or quicker or without food, than the Crémant there may have been a marginal difference in the outcome…

Nope just read it more carefully. Prosecco tends to be less fizzy and lower ABV so that theory’s blown away…

Not in my case. The event was rather modest, but free Port, doubtless a cheap ruby, was provided afterwards with the coffee. The organisers put an open bottle on the table for our reasonable enjoyment, but foolishly left the rest of the case under the table.

2 Likes

It also depends on what alcohol you are ingesting.

After a night drinking farmhouse cider, it is not just the sugars that help provide a headache, there can be metabolic products of wild yeasts (trace levels of aldehydes and ketones).

Interesting, I don’t think the views are necessarily incompatible though as you could argue that you drink more sugary drinks which competes for metabolic resources even further, even though the body is good at breaking down sugar.

(Although I really know nothing about the topic in general and is an area I’m sure everyone in the Community could benefit from learning about.)

I’m guessing when you mix Prosecco with Aperol your head is going to feel way worse the next day than if you just had Crèmant.
I’m not convinced that a trial would show a statistically significant difference in alcohol absorption in prosecco Vs Crèmant .

A very good friend of mine was once told by someone who did one of these “allergy” things on her that she should avoid yeast & that meant wine , but not to worry because she could drink Champagne … you know, because there’s no yeast in Champagne :champagne::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:!
She still believes this fact, despite me explaining in great detail the process of Traditional method sparkling wine production ! :joy::joy:

8 Likes

Depends what sort of sugar - and there are several (including glucose, fructose, lactose… and sucrose if the wine has been chaptalised) - and I believe the body processes some sugars faster than others (or not at all with some conditions).

1 Like

I hope not ! the level of methanol in wine is tiny - one would have to consume 3.75L of red wine in an hour for the body to experience any ill effects from methanol - according to the paper I looked up. https://www.bio-conferences.org/articles/bioconf/pdf/2017/02/bioconf-oiv2017_02028.pdf

1 Like

My friend never drinks grain after grape as he claims it’s bad for him whereas a malt whisky after wine seems to have little effect on me. But port always makes me slower in the morning though not usually with a hangover.

Since both Prosecco and Cremant use the Champagne scale of sweetness I can’t see sugar
would explain the blanket statement above. A brut Cremant, Prosecco and Champagne should have similar levels of RS

A Brut Prosecco should have less RS than a Extra Dry Cremant

1 Like

Is that a challenge? :slight_smile:

I can see it now: " I consumed 3.75L of rough red in an hour… (five and a third bottles) and blame the damage to carpets etc on ‘methanol intolerance’ " All in the name of science.

3 Likes

True, but I’d say (with zeto hard evidence) on the whole Crémants are drier than Proseccos, even within the range of the same EU sweetness level.

Whether the difference is large enough to affect hangovers significantly, even if it is theoretically possible, is another matter.

2 Likes

There’s no doubt that nearly all Proseccos available in UK are Extra Dry while nearly all Cremants are Brut, and I haven’t enough experience of Brut Prosecco to comment on the second point.

But the ranges within the RS scales are quite small. The grape variety used can make a difference in the mouth feel; a Brut Chenin Cremant feels less dry than a Brut Cremant from a traditional Champagne blend.

The writer makes a bald statement without clarification whether she’s comparing like with like, i.e. abv/RS banding/mount drunk.