01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Dropping direct debits as a means of payment

Stories like this don’t help consumer confidence.

2 Likes

From memory the BA one was quite a simple javascript injection hijack that intercepted users when inputting their payment method. In theory if the payment method is stored by the merchant then it provides less chance for an intercept.

I understand the headlines can be scary and it sounds terrible but if one is concerned here are steps that can be taken to protect anyone and everyone.

• check your statements every month and flag anything that looks unusual. The sooner you do this the better.
  • I always recommend using a credit card rather than debit card, particularly for purchase over £100 as there is enhanced protection and it’s easier to claim back. Just remember to pay the balance in full every month if you can. The added bonus via a credit card is that the credit card company is jointly liable for any purchase you make, the merchant goes into administration before you receive the goods you can get the money back from a credit card provider, harder if you have paid direct debit.
  • if you are going to use a debit card try to limit what funds sit in the account linked to the debit card, less in the account means less available to steal. Even then you can still claim back and there are protections but just not as strong as credit cards
  • historically PayPal was different, even if you use a credit card on PayPal it didn’t have the same protections as doing it direct. Not sure if that’s still the case but I try to avoid paying via PayPal as a result.

If someone steals your card details and makes payments using your details you will be able to claim all monies back from the bank or credit card provider. These days it’s not as much of an admin paid either, usually you just need to make a call and there may be a time lag but that’s often it.

2 Likes

Absolutely, from the BBC news app tonight…

The incident took place when BA’s systems were compromised by its attackers, and then modified to harvest customers’ details as they were input.

So if the card details were stored then no problem, it’s anyone who input the details online during the hack would’ve been compromised

1 Like

I agree with all your other points, but in this case I think that the protections for debit card are still pretty strong unless you’ve been negligent. I appreciate that some banks in the past were less than good at sorting this out but I think it’s better now.

I had a case a few years back at a petrol station when I was away fishing. I wasn’t happy with the actions of the cashier with my card, and challenged them and got a pretty defensive reaction. I tried to contact my bank but couldn’t get a mobile signal. When I got home I had a message to say they’d stopped my card due to suspicious activity. I asked them to confirm where and they wouldn’t tell me. I told them and it’s fair to say they weren’t very good at lying! However, very prompt action by them, though it did inconvenience me having no card for a few days…leading to bad thoughts of Iranian style punishment on the garage cashier…

2 Likes

Don’t disagree but the less cash that can be accessed if your debit card details are stolen the better. Plenty of protection but it just helps. I think banks have got incredibly smart in recent years about identifying unusual activity on cards.

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Totally. I’ve had my card details used fraudulently twice in the last 15 years, one at a restaurant and once by a customer service agent on the phone. No issues online.

1 Like

Earlier in the year I had booked a flight from Leeds Bradord to Belfast and return by Flybe I made sure i used a credit card and when they went bust i got all my money back from the Credit card provider.
Interestingley Flybe said they went bust partly because credit card providers had hung on to money due to the Airline for fights booked and paid for by credit cards. Clearly the credit card companys had hung on to the money thinking that Flybe was going to go bust.

2 Likes

I have just seen this on thee BBC web news, The high fees charged by visa and mastercard to retailers.

2 Likes