01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Dropping a bottle

I’m really tempting fate here, but I can’t ever remember breaking a bottle of wine. I’ve come close on a couple of occasions and saw a friend juggle a rather nice bottle of Chablis over a concrete floor with extremely fortunate results, but have never actually broken one of my prized collection

runs off to touch wood

I assume I’m not in the minority’s but can’t help but feel it’s a matter of time, especially given a nature to faff. I’m interested if anyone else has ever broken anything of note and if so, what was it?

Smashed a Vina Tondonia 2005 all over the boot of my estate car. The dog was in her element for weeks after :rofl:
My Mum had a great story about returning from Bulgaria with a very tall friend. As they passed through customs they were told they couldn’t bring the massive stock in to the country. Her almost 7 foot friend argued the point with the customs officers for quite a while as he knew full well that the bottles confiscated would end up in their Christmas drinking stash.
He finally resigned himself to the fact he wasn’t going to get them through and as the customs officer put out his hand to take them, my Mums friend held them high over his head and dropped them from over 7 foot with a loud “Ooops! how clumsy of me!” They wished the customs officers a merry Christmas, walked off and left the carnage of 5 bottles smashed all over the floor.

(Also, I’m not really sure why they thought they would not draw attention to themselves, my Mum is 4ft '11 :sweat_smile:)

I dropped a bottle of red wine in our hallway just after we moved in on a tiled floor - there is a mark in the tile that Mrs G constantly reminds me of

We have been here since 2001…it was a very loud noise though!
I have got used to it over the years - no choice really☹️

I remember dropping a bottle of Sainsbury’s Crozes red down a carpeted flight of stairs onto a virtually white carpet. The last step was it’s downfall and did it make a mess or what.:cry:
But with no little enthusiasm and several rolls of quality kitchen paper, it was all mopped up and the following morning you could not see a trace of a stain. It was a good vintage and the wine was a deep red/purple and quite aromatic.:wink:
Those were the happy days when Alan Cheeseman was in his pomp, terrific wines at fair prices for an own brand. Sadly they kicked him upstairs and their wine dept. went south!

About 15 years ago we were having a meal in Villa Crespi, just outside Lake Orta. Now two stars but it wasn’t then.

At the next table were a couple well known to the staff who seemed to be there more for the wine than the food. After much discussion a bottle was chosen and the sommelier started to open it. As he was doing so it slipped and, because we were outside on the terrace, it smashed. Much consternation (and amusement of course, on our table) and the sommelier himself cleared up the damage.

Many years ago I’d been sent out to buy a couple of bottles for Sunday lunch by my Dad. It was pouring down with rain and as I ran back to my car both bottles broke through the bottom of the bag and smashed.
I couldn’t bring myself to admit my stupidity,I should have double-bagged, so I went to the cashpoint and took out all of the cash I had in the world (£15) and returned home with the two bottles.

William Sokolin’s episode with a 1787 Chateau Margaux may be the most expensive ever?
Highly controversial as he appeared to have over insured the bottle which was broken, and there was some doubt about its provenance! It wasn’t actually dropped, but knocked, which produced a couple of holes in the fragile bottle depositing its contents over the table.
I can’t remember the exact figures but believe he paid about $150,000 for it and the insurers paid out c.$200,000.
Those who managed to “sample” the wine reported it was corrupted.

There’s always a choice! You could greatly improve that with some acrylic paint. Hobbycraft shops do a budget range (£1/tube), get a beige and a white and mix to match the colour. Clean the damaged bit with some spirit and paint in. Acrylic is tenacious and durable.

A more advanced way would be to get your colour mix as above but combine the mix with epoxy adhesive (Araldite or similar). Mix the epoxy then add a small amount of the paint (5% max) to the epoxy, quickly mix and apply (mask off the surrounding area!).
Let it fully cure 24-48 hours and you can lightly sand it to better match the surface of the tile.

Neither will be an invisible repair, but they’ll make it much less noticeable.

I’ve been lucky so far, but did have a scary near miss a few months back.

When I was moving things around in the wine fridge a La Chapelle 2000 rolled off an extracted shelf from around 5 feet high onto the kitchen floor landing squarely on its side. It was miraculously unharmed. Bacchus and Dionysus had my back that day.

Last week I collected some wine from TWS and bought 6 bottles from the bin ends.

Because TWS beg us to return their wine carriers I transferred the 6 to a supermarket carrier I’d brought with me and left TWS carrier behind.

The supermarket carrier isn’t as robust as the TWS one as I found out when I took it out the car when I got home.

The bottom collapsed; six bottles crashed onto the drive, smashing two including the most expensive - the Bedrock Zinfandel…

Next time I’ll take the TWS carrier home and return it on my next visit

Not us, but Mr JayKay returned from a local Waitrose shop this morning with a sad tale of Champagne destruction. While in the shop he heard an almighty crash and this turned out to be the collapse of a display of Champagnes near the fruit and veg!

No one hurt, but many broken bottles (some bounced) and a flood of bubbly.

After years of safely transporting bottles, I’ve had 2 unfortunate incidents while travelling in Piemonte. In the first a carrier bag with boxed bottles of Barbaresco & grappa slid gently from upright to flat as I was getting off a coach. The grappa was fine, the Barbaresco bottle literally exploded leaving a bagful of tiny shards of glass. And a very angry driver. The second was when I tripped up on the steps outside the Duomo in Alba after buying a really nice Nebbiolo. Wrote off the wine, split my lip, bruised one arm ‘ both knees and cracked a tooth.

I take it that other than that, you were fine!! :wink:
Sounds awful, divine intervention for something perpetrated in a past life?
Maybe you forgot to light a candle!
Seriously though, I hope that incident did not spoil the holiday, but I imagine that it must have taken the edge off it. A lost bottle is one thing, a dentists bill quite another.

Litre of Magno Spanish Brandy hit the deck in Machester Airport, mea culpa.

I had never broken one of my wine glasses in 50 + years of hand washing, until two weeks ago when I let slip a red burgundy glass in our kitchen

Other people’s glasses and my Dad’s pub glasses are quite another thing.

Fortunately the dental problem didn’t show up till I got home & half a tooth dropped out! On the plus side, the restaurant I was heading for provided very effective first aid with a large glass of antiseptic & analgesic grappa.

Nice one!:wink:

Excuse me ToT, why have we both got thin green circles round our wotsits ?

I WAS a very bad person in a past life!!:wink::grin:

Might wanna run that one past your GP.

I was wondering same.

I got a green doughnut earlier, but it’s vanished now