Drinks not wine

I know this is a wine community, but wine drinkers drink other things too - I’ve seen whisk(e)y, beer, cider, specialty coffee…plus it’s January, with its quest for a genuinely satisfying no-lo alternative, though I am aware that’s been done before on these pages.

Anyway, I am starting the year with a white tea (Supreme Organic Fuding Bai Hao Yin Zhen Silver Needle White Tea if you’re interested) from Dragon House Tea, as recommended by @lapin_rouge a little while back.

It’s a comforting, quiet, contemplative drink, the perfect New Year’s Day brew I reckon. Thank you @lapin_rouge for the recommendation.

8 Likes

Well, I had a Jasmin Dragon Pearls tea with my lunch time scone, but for us the perfect New Years drink is still to come, viz a fizz appetiser followed by a decent red with the roast…

4 Likes

Good for you - and seeing as it’s dry January, I’ll be making a pot of Bai Hao Yin Zhen Silver Needle myself - seems we have the same taste in tea. This sounds a tad snobbish but I find the 2rd ‘refresh’ (or 3rd pour, if that makes sense) makes the best tea because all the tannins have leached away.

1 Like

I opened this just before Christmas, received as a birthday gift in September.

As I drink my tea black and weak (the tannins make me sick if too strong) I usually drink distinctively flavoured teas such as Lapsang or Earl Grey. I didn’t have high expectations but as long as I am careful with the amount used I am really enjoying it. It reminds me of a good Darjeeling and a nice change.

2 Likes

Yes, I get that. Some teas seem to wake up after a couple of pours. I think you can be acquitted of tea snobbery, I think it’s just true!

If you’re reading this thread you might find this episode interesting - lots about the contrasting relationships with alcohol held by the British and the Swedes.

5 Likes

I’ve been buying my tea from this fine establishment for a few years now.

Lovely teas, for a very reasonable price, from some excellent people. They have some great tea bags, which you fill with the leaf and are compostable.

Highly recommend them

3 Likes

Think this is a great series, really funny and poignant…and plays to my love of sweden (based on not much knowledge other than two holidays, one summer and one winter)

3 Likes

Same here! Absolutely love The Cold Swedish Winter :+1:
Agree that it does ‘cultural differences’ very funnily and sometimes even poignanty. I often think the British and Swedish sense of humour is very similar - dry, witty with a nice dose of self-deprecation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip - cheaper for Lapsang Souchang even with postage charges

I spent a lot of time living in Stockholm while working. Coming home in the dark during winter the bushes around the lakes would be packed with people fishing for crayfish and one evening I was invited to the home of a colleague for boiled crayfish.

But I do not find the radio series at all funny.

Speaking of tea and its multifarious expressions (of which I know virtually nothing - I’m much more of a coffee drinker) - I highly recommend Andrew Jefford’s piece about Tea in his (fantastic!) book Drinking with the Valkyries.

Poetic, and thought-provoking, as always - this is actually one of the best pieces of the book, in my opinion. Interestingly, he stated in that piece that if he was made to choose between wine and tea as the only beverage he could drink - he would choose tea.

1 Like

We’ve found ourselves with one of these via a corporate Xmas gift to my wife - a sparkling alcohol-free tea of all things; not opened it yet but sounds rather interesting.

3 Likes

Fascinating I’d be really interested in your thought as and when you do open it!

2 Likes

I’ve used Teahouse Emporium in Bath for a few years now, normally for home delivery for a large 1kg pack of rooibos and other teas, but we do call in if we are in Bath. Delivery is prompt and the teas have always been good.

2 Likes

They also make the sparkling teas for Fortnum & Mason. We’ve had them a few times and find them to be an excellent aperitif that also works well with food. Best thing is that, unlike many alcohol free drinks, they’re not sweet.

3 Likes

M&S 0% G&T makes an excellent substitute for tonic. Not so much for gin.

(The two behind were delicious).

5 Likes

Beer tonight, from a fabulous wine merchant (Seven Cellars) and at 10% around the same abv as their German wines!

Putting honeycomb, chocolate and vanilla into a beer shouldn’t be legal, but in an imperial stout it comes out unctuous, shameless and lovely.

5 Likes

Ah! Are you Brightonian too…? :grin: I love Seven Cellars!

Alas not - Oxfordshire - but I do order from them online from time to time. Would be very pleased if they were my local off license!

1 Like