01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Drinking windows

Question for the more knowledgeable on the site. I have a few 20 - 30 bottles of wine for which I have no idea of the drinking windows. I found the wines on cellar tracker no dates there either.

Is there a way to determine the drinking window?
Is there a general rule, for example that grape made there is likely to be that date?

An example of the wines I refer to are:-

2014 Anush-1 Khndoghni Kataro Reserve
2017 Cellers Can Blau Montsant Can Blau

Cheers

Gordon

Is this Armenian?? What is the grape ?
As for the Blau, I have a half case which I haven’t even opened yet. This is a blend and from somewhere quite warm, I do remember drinking the 2016 and it was really smooth and well integrated. I think with this montsant give it a try as I don’t think it was made to age as such. it will most likely be good young and then keep a couple for a couple years and try again if you think it will get better . Trying it is the only way you will be able to assess if it has the components to age further or if it’s better to drink now :wink:.

Yes @Leah it’s Armenian. Khndoghni (also known as Sireni) is an ancient, indigenous and rare red grape variety that is not cultivated anywhere in Europe and in Americas, but abundantly grows in the soft climate of Artsakh region. Special terrain, soil quality, high number of sunny days per year and soft climate with mild winters account for the birth of a strong and unusual dry red wine, rich in tannins, full and with excellent taste. Khndoghni (“khen-dogh-nee”) comes from the word “khind” which means “joy” and it is the best description for the wine - it is crisp, cheering and refreshing. The vines for the Kataro wines were planted in the year 2000.

The Kataro Reserve wines are aged for three years in Caucasian oak barrels sourced from local high-elevation forests.

I tasted the Blau when I bought them, not as good as 16. Tried another 6-9 months later was better. Maybe just a difference in bottles maybe not.

Trying it is the only way you will be able to assess if it has the components to age further or if it’s better to drink now. Ha ha mistaking me for someone who would have a clue. Had a palatectomy at a young age. :laughing:

Where there’s no window already on CT I look at other sites for similar wines to get an idea - TWS is one of the better ones, Jancis Robinson is good too if you have a subscription, but various other merchants can be helpful too. Get Googling!

I’ve never had an Armenian wine. I lived in Baku, Azerbaijan for a while but mainly drank Georgian wines as the Azeri stuff at the time was vile. Of course with the conflict there would be no chance of finding an Armenian wine somewhere like Baku. Shame as it’s close in distance.
As for Blau, is it a bigger wine than 2016? More tannins and acidity? Maybe it needs a little time to calm down as such . I’m going to have to dig a bottle out to try now :wink:.

That would be good.

I am generally pretty good at research as I have to do it every day, but on this occasion have failed to find anything. I even emailed the producer of the Armenian wine without response.

I have found the tech sheet for the Can Blau 2014 which is showing a drink date of 2019 - 2024 so vintage plus 5 years meaning that the 2017 will probably be 2022 to ~ 2027 as a guess.