01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Drinking dates advice required please

Can anyone help please advise on drinking dates for the following bottles I have hived away?

Mosel, Kröver Steffensberg, Auslese Goldkapsel, 2011
Mosel, Graacher Domprobst, Beerenauslese, 2010
Mosel, Ürziger Würzgarten, Beerenauslese, 2006
Rheingau, Oestricher Lenchen, Auslese, 1999
Rheingau, Oestricher Lenchen, Beerenauslese, 1994

All purchased direct from the wineries by me and properly cellared since.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, that looks like a good collection! From my experience of higher prädikat wine, none of these wines are anyway near to being over the hill. The 20th Century wines are the ones I would drink first, especially the Auslese as I’d guess they will be lovely right now. As to a peak drinking time I think that depends on how mature you like your Riesling.
Perhaps you could look the wines up online to see if anyone has reviewed any of the specific wines. I don’t think general guides to specific vintages are that useful, but I know 2011 wines are really good in general and the other vintages are all sound.

Many thanks NickFoster. The Rheingau ones aren’t from a top vineyard, nor is the Graacher Domprobst, but they are all (I believe) from Große/Erste Gebiete and should be good wines. I can’t find anything online to help really, but my gut feeling what that they should be OK for a while yet. It seems difficult to get precise information on drinking windows, I suppose at a pinch I could contact the Wintner themselves! Like you I’m sligtly concerned about the older (Rheingau) wines, arguably particularly the 1999 Auslese. Maybe I will ease some wine out with the Coravin to try them to check.
Once again, thanks, and any further input also welcome of course.

Simon, do you know who the producers are? The descriptions you give are names of plots used by multiple producers.

Hi @szaki1974, yes:
Mosel, Kröver Steffensberg, Auslese Goldkapsel, 2011 - Vollenweider
Mosel, Graacher Domprobst, Beerenauslese, 2010 - Josef Bernard Kieren
Mosel, Ürziger Würzgarten, Beerenauslese, 2006 - Berthold Oster
Rheingau, Oestricher Lenchen, Auslese, 1999 - Bernhard Eser
Rheingau, Oestricher Lenchen, Beerenauslese, 1994 - Bernhard Eser
Thanks.

I accessed the:
Rheingau, Oestricher Lenchen, Beerenauslese, 1994 - Bernhard Eser
with Coravin over last weekend.
It was beautiful.
I will have the rest of the bottle at Christmas!
My guess is that the rest will keep for a lot longer, if I can hold back!!

The Cellartracker site shows drinking windows taken from users feedback