01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Drink dates? What drink dates?

discovery

I inherited 4 of these. Fortunately they have been kept in a good cellar for life. image
The first was opened, gingerly, and discovered to be alive and without fault.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not fresh. There is no fruit. But it is not faulty. Like a Rioja or old Hermitage it is honeyed, the oak shows and it is perfect for the fireside on a chilly Jan evening.

Love it when this happens…… not that ive ever inherited wine :joy::laughing:

Whoop! Sounds exactly right for now.

The best I’ve managed was an 1997 LBV port, which was drunk last weekend. The most noticeable thing about it was that it was incredibly sweet.

Amazing! And great to hear.
We had someone on Twitter tag us last year because they’d found a really old bottle of Society-label red which was still good - I can’t for the life of me remember what it was, I think either an Italian or one of our Chilean reds - @Ewan, can you remember?!

I acquired a 1974 society LBV as part of an auction lot…it was rather nice when drunk Dec 2018

Amazing!! Makes me wonder if I should squirrel a bottle of the current vintage away for a few years as an experiment… :grinning:

I think the best thing to inherit is the ability to buy wine. Preferably, a whole cellar full of expensive wine! That way, if you actually don’t like wine, you could buy a castle in Scotland instead! (Or a two bedroom flat in N. London.)

There have been several reports here of older WS bottlings which still appear from time to time - likewise on other discussion groups. Almost without fail they are reported as being delicious. Here’s one I put up some while back -

1970 Ch. Meyney

N. Rhones are usually represented well. Vintage port doesn’t count as it lives for ever!

Agree re vintage port - you’d expect those to be good.
Believe wine society buyer Joanna Locke had luck with a very aged TWS Cotes du Rhone en magnum, and I’ve enjoyed TWS Alsace with significant age.

In 2016 we enjoyed an old cava @wineyg found at his Mum’s.

A friend of mine inherited a ‘cellar’ of wine held at BBR. Each year BBR would inform him that such and such wines were ready to drink and he would then instruct BBR to deliver half of said wines and sell the rest. The proceeds of the sale would then finance the purchase of more wine en primeur and as a result said friend drank exceptionally good wines but never forked out a penny!
On one occasion he told me he had some ‘claret which needed drinking’ and I quickly responded “I’ll cook!” So it was that I cooked some beef for dinner and he brought round a bottle of Ch. Petrus!