01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Do you want to try Bin #012?

Just recieved mine and sadly it appears to have leaked slightly as it was on it’s side and had a very fine layer of moisture against it. The contents did look slightly effervescent too. Society will send a replacement when the next batch comes in and I was saving it for the bank holiday so no problem from me but interesting.

I wonder if that is to do with:

(a) Bin #12 is bottled with a bare cork, no capsule - nice ‘green’ idea but perhaps capsules have wider benefits?
(b) Exceptional temperatures in transit / logistics once the bottle has left Stevenage - this year has been off the scale.

@Aaronb, how about leave it in the fridge for 24 hours then open the bottle - would be interesting to see if the wine is OK ?

1 Like

It’s in the fridge for later.

Rose with Kimchi? What can go wrong :sunglasses:

Their original purpose was to stop the cork being eaten by pests while being stored in one’s cellar, Now they perform an adverting/branding function, and a place for French tax stamps. Several wineries have stopped using them: they add to the cost and are thrown away without ever having a use.

Capsules will not stop a cork from leaking.

5 Likes

now I’m intrigued to know what kind of pest might be eating my corks, in an attempt to deprive me of wine

Ants, ISTR.

Have you an underground cellar?

I do indeed - no signs of any pests attempting to get access to my wine (unless the in-laws count…?)

1 Like

The cork weevil is a possible offender, but whether they do damage corks, or indeed exist at all, I wouldn’t like to say.
http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12307

(I suspect it’s solely for cosmetic and branding purposes. )

I can say from personal experience that mice will attack corks. But that only applies to corks they can get at, so Champagne corks. Thanks be for the cage, otherwise they may have had a drink too! (ISTR they will nibble through foil anyway, so it’s moot whether foil makes any difference).

And I know ants can make a mess of a cellar. It has to be seen to be believed as to the sheer amount of stuff they can move/eat through.

2 Likes

How prophetic - decades before my children were born. To be fair though, they were very hungry after the third consecutive month of diverting most of the family food budget towards TWS warehouse 4 saturation.

7 Likes

Linking back to the Sherry Triangle thread, mice are a feature of the Gonzalez Byass tour.

1 Like

I was wondering how to sum up how I felt about bin 12, and I think you have got it spot on!

I (with respect) disagree - they must prevent (or lower) the amount that a cork can dry out? and therefore reduce cork shrinkage & wine leaking ?

Normally, not a problem with a quick drinking wine (like this rose) but if combined with exceptional temperature fluctuations, would that be an issue ?

I dont actually know the answer… just asking the question.

Capsules were made of lead. I don’t know if lead is impervious to mice, but if they eat it maybe they’ll get lead poisoning. :slight_smile:

It was mice, I think, from which capsules were supposed to protect the cork.

I remember lead capsules; then they were banned as dangerous, hence the various types of material we get today.

The foil on Champagne bottles was to hide the fill level from the days before automation when fill levels could differ greatly.

4 Likes

They said in the talk on bin #012 that the capsule makes no difference at all to the wine and is purely cosmetic if I remember correctly, hence the decision to ship without them.

I will test and see if it’s OK and normally would have just done that first but wanted to open it bank hols with a friend who likes wine I only see a few times a year. I also recieved a separate box of 14 in the same delivery and these were all perfectly dry (bin was on it’s own as I ordered separately and set the delivery date on both for yesterday as I’ve been away).

1 Like