01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Do labels sell wine?

label

Ooh! I can even explain how that one happened! It’s probably a mistranslation of “ganguo” as if it was “gan guo”. Ganguo means dried fruits by the way. Take a bow automated translation programs.

Yes, without doubt a good label can sell an average wine - and the opposite is also true. Perrier Jouet clinched it a long time ago (sadly I have only had the one bottle, a 1982 - and it was worth every penny of another person’s money!)

Faced with an aisle of similar priced ‘Bordeaux Superieur’ in your average French Hypermarket - it is the ONLY way of making your mind up.

Seems the TWS have got a new Graphic Designer on board, judging by the latest White Rioja offer. Looks like a really attractive label. Think I will buy a few.

My tasting next month for our U3A group will have 4 pairs of similar wines*, one of each pair will cost twice the price of the other and we will choose our favourite.

And the bottles will be wrapped so the label doesn not influence us.

I’m calling the tasting Price and Prejudice

• Marlborough NZ Sauvignon blanc, White Burgundy, Australian Shiraz, Merlot based Bordeaux.

That sounds great, let us know how it turns out if you get a chance :+1:

Faced with hundreds of similar AC wines in your average French Hypermarket - and wishing to buy a few cases to take back to Blighty. Of course I cannot try the wine so have no way of knowing which of a dozen Muscadets available @ 10 Euro to buy (or Cahors, Cote-de-Rhone, typically wines not listed / rated in wine snob magazines)

The answer is the Label - not the big label, but the one that tells you it won a recent concourse du vin award. Usually a gold or silver medal. This does not mean it is guaranteed to be great… but it has been through some kind of quality test and not failed.

Browsing 2015 Rhones I just came across this rather minimalist label that I confess is begging me to buy it:

That is a great label!

I’ve started to have a “thing” for Ventoux wines… I have a feeling we could start to see a lot more quality wines coming out of here.

I’ve never had any Ventoux from TWS but I have from elsewhere.

I think there are a lot of areas that are not generally seen as the elite that are producing some fantastic value. Cotes de Castillon is another good examples and I’ve had Lalande de Pomperol and Lussac or Montagne St Emilion that could certainly give their more illustrious neighbours a run for their money.

This is the kind of back label that could actually sell a wine.

I love Potel’s back labels for the same reason! Nice to see Mac Forbes does it too…

Why more producers don’t do this is surprising. This is excellent. Providing the end customer this sort of info is great.

Mine’s not from a named vineyard, but thanks to the back label I could find out exactly where it is in my Hugh Jancis Wine Atlas.

It’s this geeky kind of stuff I love :sunglasses:

@Herbster ha! Exactly who I was thinking of but couldn’t quite put a finger on it without going to look at the bottles in the cellar. Thanks for reminding me. Almost verging on too much information in places…

You’re not sensing the 5kg boxes on the mid-palate then…? :male_detective:

I was thinking more 20kg myself…:rofl:

It’s the average of the slopes that does it for me! :face_with_monocle:

In ski-ing terms that’s a green run!

These were the wines, served blind in pairs in identical glasses

1 Makaraka
Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Marlborough, New Zealand
abv 12.0% Aldi £4.99

2 Spy Valley
Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Marlborough, New Zealand
abv 12.0% TWS £9.99

3 Vignerons de Grands Vignes
Saint-Véran 2016
AOC Saint-Véran, Burgundy
abv 13.0% 100% Chardonnay M&S £7.66

4 Château de Beauregard
Saint-Véran 2016
AOC Saint-Véran, Burgundy, France
abv 13.0% 100% Chardonnay TWS £14.95

5 Bushland
Premium Estate
Shiraz 2017
South Eastern Australia Aldi £4.49

6 Tahbilk
The Tower
Shiraz 2016
Central Victoria, Australia TWS £9.50

7 Château Lamothe Saint Germain 2016
AOC Bordeaux, France
abv 13.5% Merlot blend TWS £6.50

8 Château de la Commanderie 2011
AOC Lalande-de-Pomerol
Bordeaux, France
abv 13.5% 75% Merlot blend TWS £13.50

After each pair we discussed and voted on the one we preferred, the revealed the wines

On the first pair, Sauvignon blanc, there was a tie
On the Burgundy the more expensive won
(I could barely tell difference, I voted for the more expensive because it was a tadge crisper)
On the shiraz the more expensive won
(I though the cheaper was horrible and the more expensive not typical of shiraz
On the clarets the cheaper won.
(And I bought some on my visit to TWS yesterday).

Interesting on the Clarets. I still have one of those Commanderie bottles left but so far haven’t been hugely impressed by it.