01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Disturbing news

Well, that’s an alarming story, though I don’t feel it’s very authoritative!

1 Like

Fine. Leave the young to enjoy their ‘naked’ wines which smell and taste of mouse and mold and leave the nice wines for me. I’ll just eat some blueberries and continue with my lovely soups made of all sorts of green things.

Relying on red wine for your antidioxidants is of course a totally smart move. Like relying on cigarettes to help exercise your lungs…

14 Likes

They did WHAT?? :rofl::joy:
“After the initial resveratrol levels were measured, the bottles were resealed and stored in darkness in their original packaging.”

:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I saw that too and that’s what led to my not very authoritative comment. Very strange way to conduct an experiment.

1 Like

It’s maybe not quite as bad as it initially sounds. The paper says:
“Exposure to air and light was minimised to prevent degradation of the wine constituents. After measurement of the initial resveratrol concentration of the wines in July 2013, the wines were N2 flushed, resealed and stored at ambient temperature in darkness. To provide the most realistic storage conditions, the original packaging of the wine was used.”

Even so, you might have hoped that they ran at least a few tests on bottles of equal age that had not been opened and resealed. And why not store somewhere that is temperature controlled, rather than at “ambient” temperature?

1 Like

Hmmm. Penfolds do a re-corking procedure for their older wines that seems like that procedure.
https://www.penfolds.com/en-gb/events/recorking-clinics

But yes, one would have thought they should run a couple of different conditions.

1 Like