01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Decent Food Matches with Barolo?

I’m hoping to at long last open one or perhaps even two of my fancy Barolo purchases over Xmas time broadly, following all the kind advice I received on my thread last Spring.

My potential food choices need however to be relatively simple - I’m going to be solo-at-home with our boy over Xmas, apart from a few days en famille at one of my sisters, as wife needs to spend a few months back in Taiwan (her mum’s not in the best of health at the moment and it’s been almost 3 years since any visits to/from Taiwan due to COVID etc). Fortunately her employers have been very understanding and she’ll be doing her work from Taiwan while I hold the fort here.

So bearing this in mind and that preparing Full Monty game dishes etc is probably not viable, any thoughts for relatively straightforward food / dishes that complement Barolo? Our boy will eat risotto probably, and he’s certainly a big one for pasta, especially spag bol / ragu.

I’m kind of assuming things towards the umami side is the way to go?

Any suggestions for simple killer dishes welcome :~}

4 Likes

I don’t know whether this is too complex, though it is a fire-in-the-oven-and-forget recipe (and the true beauty is that the flavour elements are the real key here). If you buy diced lamb, and simply throw all the ingredients in, it still works very well. Also works very, very well with Rioja

6 Likes

That looks very doable and very tasty - thank you :~}

I think wife - a big Rioja fan - may be jealous if she hears about this …

2 Likes

I would go mushroom risotto, with a mushroom overdrive (make rich mushroom stock from peel and stalks, dried, fresh, anything and everything), don’t be shy with mascarpone and to make festive grate some truffle when serving and just add some rare venison fillets.

9 Likes

The recipe should be tested before you make it for her…

Edit: Just had a proper look at the recipe, yum! This is getting cooked in our house, thanks @Tannatastic

3 Likes

seconded

1 Like

Another vote for mushroom risotto.

3 Likes

I think Nebbiolo is really food-friendly, actually - has (in broad terms) the acidity of Sangiovese, the perfume and cut of Pinot Noir, and the substance of red Bordeaux, so you could eat most things that’d go with those, I think.

5 Likes

This recipe is bullet proof simple and tastes really good.

4 Likes

Pappardelle pasta with game ragu. The two recipes below are pretty similar: one for Venison, the other Wild Boar. Pancetta or Lardons are essential, as is 3 hours cooking. Pheasant I wouldn’t recommend (finishes up dry), however mallard or even pigeon work.

4 Likes

Great match with a super concentrated mushroom risotto (River Cafe recipe for example). I’ve also paired it well with a venison and pancetta ragu with pappardelle. Both of which are note above I see.

1 Like

Mushroom risotto with some wild mushrooms and a good chicken or game bird stock. A chunk of parmesan to nibble on after. Simples!

4 Likes

Giving this a try today

8 Likes

Ooh. What are you drinking with it?

No Barolo I’m afraid, was going to see how this tastes.

7 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t vouch for it with that wine :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll let you know if it works

1 Like

Can confirm. Very nice indeed.

Recipe was as delicious as anticipated. Now super smug that I butchered a whole shoulder and there is plenty for another day :yum:

Edit: Next time Barolo, next time

8 Likes

Barolo is high in tannin and acid, so works with fattier dishes.
I suggest oxtail stew, breast of lamb, or shoulder of lamb or pork.

9 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised how good a match this was with a posh Barbaresco…

…the addition of streaky bacon strips / lardons, as suggested at the bottom of the recipe page, is essential though.

Edit - I didn’t garnish it with pine nuts though as I find them unfriendly as far as wine is concerned.

6 Likes