01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

December TWSTaste - WHICH RED?

twstaste

Hi all,

So, we have two options for the red wine wine for our Christmas Classics tasting on 6th December, and we’re struggling to decide what to do for the best due to a stock issue! What do you think?

Here are the options:

The one available now…

Pros:

• Available to order now, so if you haven’t ordered the November tasting wines yet you can order both sets of wines in one order

• A gorgeous, classic Christmas red from a great vintage.

Cons:

• You guys have mentioned it a few times here already so a few of you have already tried it?

The one we think might surprise you…

D’Arenberg The Footbolt McLaren Vale Shiraz 2016 [not yet online]

Pros

• Not necessarily an obvious choice for Christmas, but we think you’ll really love it, and might even choose it for your Christmas dinner wine!

Cons

• Not available for sale until 16th November, so you probably can’t order both the November and December wines at the same time

What are your thoughts? Let me know ASAP and I’ll announce by the end of the day.

• Côtes-du-Rhône
  • d’Arenberg The Footbolt Shiraz

0 voters

I had the Guigal very recently, it was very good…

I like the fact that these tastings often make me buy something that I otherwise wouldn’t, and I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a McLaren Vale shiraz, so d’Arenberg it is!

They are both nice wines. I voted for The Footbolt as I haven’t tried the current vintage, and there’s a gradual move in Maclaren Vale away from being a sort of junior Barossa towards a more Italianate way of doing things. Some of d’Arenberg’s other wines have struck me as changing a little in this direction, so I would like to see about this one.

Ah, I wasn’t even aware of that! Another reason to revisit places I’ve been habitually neglecting for years.

Think I might order both, whatever the outcome.

Looks like a case of no contest so far…

Similar to others, the CDR is a known quantity (which BTW is often cheaper elsewhere) but I haven’t had the footbolt for ages and I used to really enjoy it. Although I hope like @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis it’s changed to be a little less full on.

I prefer the Rhone, as haven’t tried this particular one and you all sing its praises, but have no problem with having the Shiraz- it’s not a usual choice for me, so good to try something new I guess- and it looks like the majority’s choice :smiley:

It’s got to be Rhone for me, especially since I haven’t tried the Guigal since about 2004. Being the age I am, I am almost fixed in what regions I look for wine.
I spent 5 years sampling wines fro here there and everywhere, and could not find anything to better the produce from our Gallic neighbours…Looks like ATM we are out on a limb @inbar.

Oh, I have lots of practice on this particular front! :wink:

Don’t repeat too loudly @inbar, I think the opposition may be fonder of wine with a touch more RS !
:wine_glass::innocent::smiley:

I think it’s more of a case of ‘the opposition had already tasted the Guigal and are desperately looking for a change’… :wink:

I voted Rhône for the sole reason that I’m at the showroom tomorrow and thought I could pick it up then

Genuinely happy with either choice though

You cheeky wee varmint!

:laughing:

The Guigal is very widely available, the D’Arenberg much less so. On that basis I’d go for the shiraz, but I suppose it could also be an argument for the other choice.

I’ve gone for the d’Arenberg only because I still have a number of 2013 Guigal lying about :grimacing:

@Leah…lying about indeed…quite laissez faire :grinning::grinning::wine_glass:

Lying about the wine cabinet :rofl::see_no_evil:

Ditto…

Thanks for all your contributions! :smiley: I think we’ll go with the Aussie then. I think that’s the first Australian wine ever to be featured in a TWSTaste virtual tasting!