01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Decanter Premium

I wondered if anyone had signed up for this and if so what they think of the content available? Value for money?

I subscribe to the print magazine currently.

Cheers.

I can’t comment but I’m curious to know what it costs.

I subscribe to Jancis Robinson’s Purple Pages site @ GBP 85 pa. I recommend it highly.

For tasting notes, I think there is less emphasis on scores and more on notes, and there are some very talented contributors.

Richard Hemming’s column, Hemming’s Spittoon, in particular is very good.

I think you have hit the nail on the head as you like me are already paying for the print edition and now they want more for the digital version.
If you are solely interested in wine reviews and scores which you already get from Jancis the digital edition does not make much sense.
Alternatively ditch the print edition and just go digital, greed is a word that springs to mind over this.

Cost is £10/mth, though a current offer of £60 for 12mths. Includes digital version of monthly magazine.

I am similarly unexcited by paying a premium over the print magazine purely for access to scores, especially given the variety of contributors (I also subscribe to JR and feel some alignment with the critics there in terms of wines I enjoy).

I will always pay for good wine writing, scores, less so.

I see that Richard Hemming MW has just published a list of subscription wine sites - it would be interesting to know if anyone here pays for more than one or two

You could subscribe to all of them and still be, unless you drink all the wines scored, none the wiser as to which is in line to your personal tastes.
I think we are approaching or have passed peak critics and scores.

I have a subscription to Purple Pages (jancisrobinson.com) and I make a contribution annually to cellartracker so that counts as a subscription effectively.

When using cellartracker I find it useful that reviews for subscribed sites get linked to cellar items and for that purpose I have tried a few trial subscriptions (Vinous, Wine Companion/James Halliday) but still have not seemed worth the money for a bunch of scores.

You can buy a subscription to the app ‘Readly’, and within that is the digital Decanter magazine (as well as a host of other magazines). Might be a way to ease the impact?

Will look at Readly - had not heard of it before. Thanks.