01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Current Wine Offers (Anywhere)

Back from Lidl where I bought their Julienas on impulse (there was no grading or comment attached) because it was reduced to £5.99. Delighted to find it’s been very well reviewed by, among others, Decanter & Tom Cannavan

9 Likes

I’ve had that before (maybe a previous vintage), thought it was very tasty and excellent value

4 Likes

Same here! The 2017 was really good for the price, with good typicity. I also bought the 2018 and look forward to sampling it at some point.

3 Likes

Bollinger NV with 1/3 off at Morrisons at the moment. A few dropped into weekly shop this evening.

4 Likes

Even though their own label won this years “Which?” tasting, and is presumably flying off the shelves?

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that as I’m not a subscriber, is there anyway to see the reviews without subscription?

Try just googling the wine + review.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/21/supermarkets-own-brand-champagne-beats-french-houses-in-which-test is where I got the info from. Doesn’t given the full list but there’s enough in there to give you an idea of what’s good and what’s not.

The order as far as I can gleen from the article is 1) Morrisons 2) Waitrose 3) Moet/Sainsbury’s 4) M&S 5) Lidl after which it gets a bit hazy, but doesn’t like Verve Cliquot, Lanson or Aldi’s offering.

1 Like

Thanks @strawpig, will pick one up to try.

Veuve vintage 2012 currently £30 each as part of a mixed six currently.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/buy-6/veuve-clicquot-vintage-reserve-75cl

3 Likes

This morning, Amazon have Bollinger Special Cuvee at £30 for single bottles, you don’t have to multi buy to get the price.

Edit: just clocked that that Sainsbury’s Veuve deal now has them selling the vintage for less than the yellow label NV. Madness.

2 Likes

Decent offers on at Majestic for those interested.

The famous Guigal Côte du Rhône 2016 available at 8.99, as is a arrange of Guigal’s wines.

Picked up the Chocolate Block for just under £19 and a Beronia Gran Reserva for £15.

7 Likes

VC vintage: out of stock :frowning:

I think I already know the answer but was there any tastings at majestic when you went? Wouldn’t mind a couple of bottles of fizz they currently have on offer

To be honest I didn’t notice, looked like the store in Loughton was rammed with deliveries for the offer and I didn’t even look at the tasting table sorry

No. No longer true!

Has anyone tried the vintage Veuve? I haven’t and am tempted but I’m torn between a case of that and the WS grower champagne case.

Not many tasting notes on the 2012 available online too.

The 2012 is good now but will go on for quite a few years, similar to the 2008 but maybe a bit fuller (which would be my only slight caveat for ageing this). Still tight though which is a plus. It depends what you like. I find a lot of grower champagne rather too outré for my taste, but some love them. Vintage Veuve, despite a few wobbles here and there is underrated and underpriced, especially when on offer. My opinion only and I too would be glad of a back up opinion on the 2012.

4 Likes

I picked up a few bottles but anticipate keeping most for a few years. Maybe have one at Christmas.

Agree with you about grower champagne, though I suppose there are as many grower styles as there are growers…

2 Likes

I think at £30 a bottle when you buy 6 it’s pretty hard to resist. Just seems like it flies well under the radar as @Prufrock points out.