01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Cricket - IPL 2020

Today Super Kings V Sunrisers (Game 29)
Sam Curran & Jonny Bairstow, so some UK involvement.
I find it a little difficult keeping up with the various teams, but will “doff my cap” to those who brought the competition to the UAE, better this than nothing.

3 Likes

Excellent thanks for reminder this is happening now. How are you planning to follow it - any games on the radio this year?

I record the games, and watch them later in the day.
With 2 matches each day on a Saturday and Sunday, say with an F1GP and NFL, the sheer volume can overwhelm!! :open_mouth:
And then, before you know it - it is gone. :cry: :dragon:

sadly only on sky sports…

I could not agree more.
When live cricket disappeared from terrestrial TV, interest by kids fell off the edge of a cliff.
Unless they went to (very often) a fee paying school.
Governments & councils had sold off pitches & playing fields, in order to balance the books.
F1GP, could another Lewis Hamilton emerge today? Yer kidding, right!!
Same with Golf, these days; who cares who wins - and who are they and where do they come from?? Golf clubs begging for members these days.
Cricket authorities have recognised this, and some live cricket has returned to the BBC.
So much sport has gone behind paywalls.
If you want access to all of football :open_mouth:, Lord knows how many sites one might need to subscribe to.
Same with Rugby Union, I have given up interest in Pro14 Welsh rugby, crowds have gotten smaller and the 6 Nations is being sold off to the highest bidder. :anger:
But the IPL started in the UK free-to-air, and once it became the money making machine that it is today, it went behind a paywall.
In a decade or so, someone will exclaim “What happened to that conveyer belt of great Sporting Stars??” The answer will be that they, today are all playing Fortnite and are 10kg overweight!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :sob: :sob: :dragon:

1 Like

Short term greed by those determined to maximise their short term gain…England and India chief culprits.

1 Like

I think that all governing bodies have clambered aboard the sporting gravy train.
Stories of overseas trips where the administrators turn LEFT on boarding the long-haul aircraft to a tournament, the players RIGHT. Or where the tally of National Officials travelling exceeded the numbers of PLAYERS!
Sporting Stars must be properly rewarded, as their time in the sun is short.
But there should be a balance so that the children of today can aspire to being the sporting superstar of tomorrow. Free-to-air is one route, YouTube and the like another.
I make no secret of my liking of the BBC. Yes, it has it’s faults and made mistakes, but when the drama program made by the BBC is shown, we get 57 minutes. On commercial TV this is a scant 42 minutes.
I cannot imagine a Test Match being shown on a commercial F-T-A channel. But the BBC has been under fire for a decade, and another 4 years is guaranteed. The landscape of broadcasting has changed out of all recognition in recent times, and whether we like it or not; we must move with the times. I would advocate for a low cost BBC subscription Sports Channel, anathema to many but a recognition of what lies ahead.
We cannot turn the clock back, but we can strive to find a transmission model fit for purpose for future decades that includes sport within it’s remit!! :+1: :grinning: :dragon:

2 Likes

you didn’t mention football…pretty much where all this has started - and look at the state of it today !

Im a coach at local cricket club and also help at local rugby club - we are lucky that we are in a town/area with a big sporting heritage (rugby club is nearly 150 years old) so we see several generations at the clubs along with extended families. But when you look at the wider picture we are not the norm - we have 50 U11s for rugby and some teams (that not long ago were strong) are now struggling to field a team for 10-a-side !

the future…all e-sports and diabetes :frowning:

1 Like

I think for ‘England’ it’s a big shock as so many of us were brought up on a complete FTA model - BBC or ITV sport. In other countries cable etc were the norm for many years

1 Like

Sporting stars do need to be rewarded but I believe the correct term is appropriately - to have a 3- 5 year football career that is needed by injury but never have to work again is not right in my eyes. Sky high wages means sky high incomes needed by the clubs to pay for it…all at the expense of the fan

I have a good friend who is an ex-world champion in their sport, olympian the works…no money in their sport to retire to the golf course

I hadn’t thought about the potential of a subscription BBC Sports platform - great idea ! The BBC has many knocking it now - and apart from a few questionable decisions on political / news programmes they really haven’t done anything to deserve this torrent of attack. I would support this as quite simply their coverage of live events (inc non-sport) is the best in the world

2 Likes

Indeed. And people often forget too of those moments just when a Test match was reaching a very interesting stage when good old Peter West would come on to tell us we were now going over to the 3.30 at Uttoxeter…or even worse in Scotland where we wouldn’t get to see it at all as BBC Scotland were covering a women’s golf event watched by about 10 people…usually of very mediocre standard too.

Some form of pay to view would be good, but Sky charge almost as much for one sports channel as for them all…

3 Likes

Agreed - and I thought the international cricket they did show this was summer was brilliant. And so great they chose a woman presenter (as well as several other female commentators) with fun and energy - it was like a breath of fresh air after watching the plodding Sky coverage and their clique of past male captains (which I don’t very often as I only rarely subscribe to Sky for a month eg with Ashes).

2 Likes

TMS commentary on 5Live Sport Extra

2 Likes

Oh great, thanks! I remember it has been is past years so that is really good news. Nothing like a bit of cricket to cheer the soul on a cold autumn day in the middle of lockdown!

2 Likes