01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Creeping Sexism

Is there? Just chucking the thought out for consideration, rejection, dismissal, or any other reaction!

Do you mean on this forum, or in life in general?

From Metalica’s lesser-known Social Justice For All album :metal:

7 Likes

I was thinking about the forum. Life in general is too big!

1 Like

I’d very much hope not, but do you have any examples where you think this might have crept in?

1 Like

I don’t think there is deliberate sexism on the forum. There is however some casual / unintended sexism coming through sometimes, which is more a product of being brought up in a time when things frowned at today might have been the norm.

7 Likes

Happy for you all to discuss your thoughts freely and openly here, but I’d also urge anyone to contact @Kelly or I privately (or flag posts in the usual way) if you would like us to investigate any individual issues rather than referring to any specific examples.

Or indeed please feel free to contact us if you’d like to suggest ways we can contribute in any way to keeping this Community a welcoming place for all - that’s very important to us indeed!

18 Likes

I think that discrimination of every stripe, pervades society.
It can be obvious, it can be covert or it may be in an unintended humorous comment.
I do though think that those who cross “the line” have form, that is my personal view.
I am delighted that these days, it is more likely to be called out - which must be progress. :+1:
I also detect that it is a generational issue where what was deemed to be acceptable in days of yore, is for the most part NOT in today’s environment.
Education is the route, by which it will be eradicated. :dragon:

2 Likes

I just can’t get that Metallica song out of my head now.

6 Likes

Do you have any examples that come to mind?

1 Like

What Laura asked.

1 Like

Can’t say I’d noticed any. There do seem to be a few more slightly chippy, argumentative comments recently, but maybe that’s just me…

1 Like

I have no interest in the gender of an individual. It is a matter of what they say and do that is important.

3 Likes

There certainly are examples of, shall we say, insensitive postings, and I find all the postings on what one’s wife, husband, whatever would say about ordering wine more than a little patronising (to both the wives and the husbands). I don’t want to complain formally about them, but can people just stop?

Part of the problem is the lack of joint membership: it is annoying that only one person in a household can contribute here (unless at a cost of an additional £20). Perhaps allowing more than one in a household to join would be a corrective, if only because we would all know that the other person could read what was being said.

6 Likes

Stop what exactly? You have made a generalised comment about your perceptions. I have just posted on another thread that my wife has enjoyed a wine and that is important to me. Is that wrong?

1 Like

The whole strand titled:

How to avoid your husband, wife, partner knowing you ordered more wine

Childish, at best.

How is this sexist?

At worst?

1 Like

Childish is different from sexist. What if I have a same sex partner?

1 Like

I would not want anyone associated with me (husband, wife, parent, child…) to feel that s/he could discuss me and my reactions in a forum in which I do not participate.

2 Likes