I opened a bottle of Rioja and drank 2/3 of it. I then replaced the cork and left it in my cool utility room. Three days later I returned to the bottle and found that at the junction between where the bottle met the reinserted cork there was what looked like a ‘mushroom’ growth ‘sprouting’ from the cork. On closer examination, the ‘mushroom’ like growth seemed to actually consist of fine cork granules held together with some very fine silken like threads.
[The ‘mushroom’ like structure fell off when I pulled out the cork. You can see a sort of depression or hole on the cork where the ‘mushroom’ was attached.]
What is it???
Has anyone seen/experienced this before??
I am just wondering if it is perhaps related to some kind of insect seeking ‘liberation’ after living in Nirvana for 7 years – it is a Reserva after all and seems like somewhat ungrateful behaviour…?
Other experiences or expert opinion, gratefully received… !