01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cork makes it easier to sell expensive wine to uneducated wine buyers - Bruce Jack

My experience from travelling globally is that most winemakers would rather use a cork alternative. One reason some don’t, is that when you use an alternative closure you have to be prepared to be both a winemaker and wine educator.

Many winemakers have this love-hate relationship with cork. Like most I’ve had to compromise and use cork because it makes it easier to sell expensive wine to uneducated wine buyers. I’ve learnt to live with the nightmare of the inevitable faulty cork that turns all winemakers into Russian roulette players.

For the perfectionists among us, there’s no contest – cork is flawed and will harm your life’s work. For others the angst of using cork is just too emotionally debilitating and stressful.

Bruce Jack is a very succesful winemaker/winery owner who set up Flagstone Wines in South Africa, sold it to Accolade Wines and became their chief winemaker responsible for all their RSA wines, including Kumala, the world’s biggest selling RSA brand.

His full argument is here, and there’s also the opposing argument from winemaker, Koen Roose at Spionkop

I don’t know if you saw this Peter, I put the link up on another discussion on closures awhile back, all you need to know and more…

I am not sure if the part about the selling being a plus for cork is in this or a seperate piece, the comeback of cork is largely because it is deemed attached to “quality” wines.

exactly! That’s what Bruce is saying.

Sorry, the article should be called Wine Closures: An Opinion.

Too many quotes from Amorin, even when disparaging alternatives.

The fact is there is no perfect closure. For anyone interested in a disinterested discussion of wine closures I can recommend George Taber’s book ‘To Cork or not to Cork’.

Last night our U3A winetasting group opened 6 wines. One was corked, (i.e. 2-4-6 TCA)