01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Coping with the weather?

How are you and your wines coping with this weather? Hope everyone’s okay and managing through these scorching temperatures!

I got myself a Sauternes chilling in the fridge for later on in the evening, hopefully this will help a bit… :weary: :wine_glass: :thermometer:

As a typical wine beginner, I have recently bought a 9 wine rack that’s sitting in my kitchen right next to my oven… BIG mistake obviously, I wish I had done my WSET course prior to buying the wine rack… And YES, I need to move it to somewhere else but there’s literally no more space at my house at the moment :woman_facepalming: next home: revise furniture priorities. :laughing:

11 Likes

Had a quick look a moment ago. Most of my wine at home is in a cabinet or fridge, but the rest is in our integrated garage, which sees the afternoon sun.

Top reading is near the ceiling, bottom reading near the floor. Quite a difference there. Most of it is at floor level, but I might scoop up the boxes at mid level and stuff them behind the kick plates in the kitchen for a couple of days

5 Likes

Cellar is staying about 19/20°C which is ok. The wine likely to be a little cooler than the air temp.

We’ve turned the house into a cave - blinds and curtains closed, doors closed etc. if we stay out of the kitchen it’s fine!

6 Likes

We are trying to follow the advice re closed curtains and windows and drinking plenty of (alcohol free) fluids! Currently 32C outside, and 24C in the pantry we keep our wine in. It is dark and relatively cool there in comparison. We don’t particularly worry about the wine temperature. The pantry temperature gradient throughout the year is not steep and is gradual when it goes up and down.

4 Likes

Is it just me who finds this whole hullabaloo around two days of 30+ degrees a load of nonsense? Do we really need reminders on trains to ‘drink water’? Have Britons not traditionally holidayed in extremely hot places in the Med…? Yes, we have no air con, and yes, vulnerable people need to take care - but honestly, this seems like yet another frenzy whipped up by some bored media types.

Right, head back below the parapet… :face_with_peeking_eye:

23 Likes

Seems like the prospect of establishing a new UK temperature high is what is driving the media frenzy. Yes my 90 year old mam needs to be reminded to drink fluids and retreat to the coolest part of the house (and 30C plus is a Big deal for the Lake District) but that can be managed quietly by family, friends and carers. And I am, like my mam, not good in heat. I am thankful I am retired and can just stay at home in loose clothing. All I need is the weather forecast to set me straight!

8 Likes

Precisely my point! They make it sound like some sort of national emergency. If this was coming for the next month I would understand, but the forecast is for a couple days of extreme heat…

Neither am I, incidentally. Which is one of the (many) reasons why I left the Middle East… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not coping with this weather.

8 Likes

Funnily enough, @Inbar, wife & I were just chucking to ourselves that only a few weeks back we were humping luggage etc around in 38degree heat in Corfu, me in jeans & her in trousers. It is certainly a bit of a hyperbaloo in some ways.

What the media et al should really be getting through to folk - I think anyway - is that the real concern with all this [for me at any rate] is what this sort of thing may well be saying about very real & tangible global warming etc. Many more episodes like this and there’s likely to be flora & fauna changes etc. While in the immediate short-term right here right now, any big rain any time soon in this particular episode, and there’ll almost inevitably be dreadful flooding as the land-surfaces are rock-hard and won’t let the water soak in to drain quietly. It’ll be bonkers, and I’ll be shocked if there aren’t any major flash-flood problems at some point this summer.

FWIW and admittedly utterly banal to be saying in the circumstances, I personally actually really rather enjoy heat; Athens used to hit 40+ sometimes, while Dubai could often go well beyond that. I find it quite energising personally. And it makes my quiet time in the late evenings out in the garden blissful :~}

8 Likes

I whole-heartedly agree. This should be the focus of conversation. But it’s much less eye-catching as a subject for headlines.

6 Likes

Presumably fussing about today’s temperatures allows commentators (like the Tory candidates) to avoid talking or thinking about climate change. And it would be interesting to know what proportion of those cancelling normal operations happen to have been expecting low occupancy (rail services? theatres?).

6 Likes

Especially when they get to throw in a few “it was worse in 1976”, like it’s some kind of competition and we’re just too soft these days.

4 Likes

Living in the far south west we don’t get the extremes of weather that the south east particularly gets. Just been out in the car and it says 28 degrees, but there is a quite pleasant breeze taking the edge off. Tomorrow’s forecast is rain.

The UK is just not geared up for any extreme weather - heat or cold.

4 Likes

Having recently moved from a flat in London, where it would remain roasting all through the night after a hot day, to a house outside of London that is fairly easy to keep cool, I think some people very much underestimate how different the experience of this heatwave will be for people in different living conditions.

I think people living in tower blocks will find it extremely difficult to get the indoors temperature under 30 degrees for a few days now.

16 Likes

Not so bad up here (Highlands) we’re currently around 23C and forecast for 26C tomorrow, which is a full blown heat wave by our standards but maybe not so by you southeners :rofl: But this is actually the first time we’ve got above 20C for at least a month maybe 6 weeks.

7 Likes

Yes, there are lots of comparisons with 1976, which indeed wasn’t as hot as we’re experiencing here today. The main difference, though, is that the high temperatures lasted for weeks on end that year. I remember it all too well, as I had a holiday job putting up marquees.

7 Likes

This is a good point and whilst it probably makes sense to be making preparations for an increased number of such heat waves you have to look at the economics of it. Everyone always complains that in the winter everything stops for a little snow whilst countries like Sweden and Norway (very realistic comparisons…not) manage perfectly well. The thing is are people prepared to pay extra council taxes to cover the millions of pounds that snow moving equipment costs for the sake of a week once a year? We do up here in the Highlands and we pay proportionately higher council taxes. The same is true for heat mitigation issues, although with climate change maybe investing in them will be worth it.

I love that they’re talking about painting the railway lines white to reduce their heat absorption, which apparently is what is done in hotter climate countries!

4 Likes

They’re very different extreme weather events. 1976 was a drought in the UK (or so I am told, I am too soft to have been born then :wink: ) where as this is a global heat spike. The comparisons between the two on a human level are good (and often interesting), but the whole political spin being put on them by some is a little galling.

Either way, I was OK (in fact very happy!) with yesterday’s early 30s but today has really floored me,

2 Likes

This is very true, and where we live now - out in the sticks near-ish Luton airport - the nights are fine; lovely in fact. But a different story when we lived in a small flat in Stratford [the East London one!]. But what we could buy out here for the same money [or less in fact TBH - the noise of the planes puts some people off; I don’t mind it, quite like it even, and they’re only in sporadic waves] was just so hugely better than what we could buy in East London, it really was the ultimate no-brainer. We’re still trying to work out what the catch is. Travel’s a bit longer & more expensive of course, but Luton to London Bridge is only 45 minutes.

1 Like

You need to get your leotard on :~}

5 Likes