01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Community Acronym Reference (wiki)

Great idea!

First, we need a comprehensive list of acronyms and shorthands that are likely to be used in this context, then we can turn this into a reference tool (or wiki so it can be maintained), and then, if possible, investigate whether the tool-tip idea of replacing the codes with explanations, is possible.

So, add your thoughts to the list below. Don’t worry about the order, we can sort that once we see what terms we come up with.

The Society’s Community Acronym Reference

(aka The SCAR) :wink:

ABV - Alcohol By Volume
BdeB (or BdB) - Blanc de Blancs
CDR - Côtes-du-Rhône
CNDP - Châteauneuf-du-Pape
C9DP - Châteauneuf-du-Pape
DP - Duty Paid
DDP - Delivered Duty Paid
Dme - Domaine
DNPIM - Do Not Put In Mouth
EDM - Entre-Deux-Mers
EP - en primeur
FWL - Fine Wine List
GC - grand cru
IB - In Bond
IBD - In Bond Delivered
LBV - Late Bottled Vintage
OCC - Original Carton Case
OO - Opening offer (see EP and IB)
OWC - Original Wooden Case
PC - premier cru
POX - (also Premox) - Premature oxidation
TBA - Trockenbeerenauslese
TCA - cork taint (2,4,6-Trichloroanisole)
TWS - The Wine Society
VCP - Vintage Cellar Plan
WWF - Wine Without Fuss

Things I wish I had known - a message to new Society members

AS this is a Wiki, you can edit the original post, rather than make a string of replies. I’ve transferred the first three suggestion lists to the wiki.

Wonderful! Great teamwork.

Let’s develop this a bit - but I think it might be worth separating “General Wine” terms from specifically “En Primeur / Collector” terms that most members will never use, then we can also have more social “Community” terms and “Society Specific” ones (like WWF).

I don’t want to re-create a detailed wine reference guide, just the kinds of terms we might actually use HERE so that this guide is useful to new members and those starting out in wine - after all, if you are already well-versed in wine then most of this will not be new to you anyway)

Oh I see you organised alphabetically… now I cannot complain.