01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Closing in on Lent

So whilst I have been enjoying a heck of a lot of different wines recently (thanks to you lovely lot) it’s getting to that time of the year again when I go into wine hibernation.

I know my wallet will thank me and I’ll have 6 weeks of not sneaking wine boxes past my wife but do any of you have things that you will abstain from come Wednesday?

2 Likes

As a catholic I shall try and abstain from feeling guilty.

20 Likes

Going off beer, nuts and crisps, but not wine! :grin: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

In the traditional teaching, ask for forgiveness, not for permission.

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out. But I can feel a lot of “Our Fathers” and " Hail Marys" coming on.

6 Likes

Are you abstaining from buying, drinking or both?

Both for me. I normally stop alcohol but this year buying it is becoming just as tempting as consuming!

5 Likes

Do you do it for health reasons?
My mother in law gives up cake but I think she does it to lose a bit of weight.

5 Likes

I genuinely can’t tell whether this is autocorrect or incredibly bold.

7 Likes

I couldn’t put it as tactfully as you and decided not to comment

2 Likes

Sorry Fukcing auto correct, why doesn’t it like mother-in-law. should read before posting

3 Likes

As long as the good lady doesn’t read it no harm done :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

As a Jew, I’ll do the same! :+1:

8 Likes

Lent? I think I shall give up international holidays…

15 Likes

I shall start the course readily enough, and in any event it’s not fair to be glugging away while my wife abstains, as she usually does, but I’ll certainly be marking the days off in the calendar.

2 Likes

How many days to count? 46 between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Traditionally 40 days because the Sundays don’t count as fasting days, so that’s potentially good news for a weekly respite :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There are always Lenten loopholes (Feasts of St. Joseph, St. Patrick and St. John Ogilvie in Scotland), but if you want to do Lent Xtreme, then it’s fasting from Ash Wednesday to sunset on Holy Saturday. :face_with_monocle:

My birthday is usually in Lent and is the optional memorial of St. Turibius of Mongervejo, but I think I’m pushing my luck a bit, there! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Loophole? It’s a biggy then, it even has it’s own official anthem😉

2 Likes

No!!!