01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Christmas ham recipes

christmas

This is as much of a recipe comparison as a recipe post. We love a Christmas ham. Here’s this years recipe but would love to know how you guys approach it!

*1 unsmoked gammon, in this case approx 3 kg. Could easily go bigger, not much point going smaller
*Maple syrup. We often use honey but I fancied a change this year
*English mustard. Plenty
*Cloves to stud
*Smoking chips. I used beech today as I didn’t have any apple but apple would be my first choice

Soak the gammon well overnight with a couple of water changes. Drain well

Heat the smoker to about 110 C and set up for an indirect cook (so no flames straight into the meat). Soak the wood chips and scatter them over the hot coals just before adding the gammon and cooking gently to an internal temperature of about 55 C (took about 3 1/2 hours in this case)

Remove the skin, cross the fat and add a clove to each diamond. Baste with a good dollop of mustard and a few tablespoons of maple syrup. Return to the smoker

Baste occasionally until an internal temperature of 65 C is reached

Wrap in foil and rest for at least an hour in a cool box

Enjoy!

This is going with some egg, chips and peas tonight with the left over white from #TWStaste. Have a feeling they’ll pair well

How do you do yours and what do you drink with it?

Detest cloves but have a ham (1Kg) free range & organic etc in the freezer.
I like maple syrup and pineapple, sorry.:roll_eyes:
Any ideas?:grinning:

You monster!!!

Maple syrup glaze, serve with a wedge of pineapple. Et voila!

Sounds good, I always use maple syrup but I use wholegrain mustard instead of English or else I mix wholegrain with Dijon and yes I too always stud with cloves.

Boil with many spices and juniper (Nigella recommends boiling in full fat coke which is also scrummy). Then remove skin, bake in oven with lots of treacle. Glaze to amaze with more treacle.

Juniper, also a no, no!!
There is fussy or as I call it discriminating and me. :open_mouth:
Goes back to an incident when I was 14 and my first encounter with Gin.
Mentally scared, it doesn’t help having a decent palate.
Grateful :grinning: though for your input.
My Mum used to serve it with sauerkraut which reminds me to get some!!

I sympathise. Mine was Bacardi Rum. After 40 years, I can just about do dark rums in certain recipes but my wife likes to do white chocolate and Bacardi ice cream… not for me :persevere:

I like the idea of treacle. To be fair, the maple didn’t really come through the lovely smoke in this one. Probably some refining to be done

Not doing one myself this year, in the past I have used marmalade and English mustard to cover and baste.

I’m a huge fan of the simplicity of a jar of marmalade and a gammon!

I love this one from Lorrain Pascal… not traditional but it has a welcome kick of heat I think Christmas can be lacking! If anyone want to suggest a wine they think would work I’m open to new suggestions!

For the ham

• 2.5kg/5½lb cured joint or ham joint, off the bone, soaked overnight in cold water
  • small handful of black peppercorns
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1cm/½in piece fresh ginger finely grated
  • 1 star anise
  • large handful cloves

For the sticky glaze

• 2 garlic gloves, crushed
  • ½ orange finely grated zest and juice
  • 220g/7½oz honey
  • 340g/12oz soft light brown sugar
  • 1 red chilli seeds removed, finely chopped (optional)
  • 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
  • 100ml/3½fl oz soy sauce
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

1. Drain the gammon joint and weigh it to calculate the cooking time.
  2. Place in a clean pan and cover completely with water. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves, ginger, star anise and half of the cloves. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the joint for 25 minutes per 450g/1lb. (A 2.5kg joint will take 2 hours 20 minutes.)
  3. Thirty minutes before the joint is ready, preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Mix all of the glaze ingredients in a small pan and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer for 25 minutes, or until the glaze is reduced and thickened.
  4. Remove the joint from the water and pat dry with kitchen paper. (Keep the cooking liquid to make a delicious soup.) Remove the thick layer of skin, but not the fat, from the joint. (This can be quite fiddly and often comes off in bits rather than in one large piece.) Use a small, sharp knife to score the meat diagonally, then change direction and score the other way to form diamonds. Stick the remaining cloves into the holes where the lines cross, then pour the glaze over the meat.
  5. Put the joint in the oven and cook for 20–30 minutes, or until the top begins to brown. It can catch easily at this point because of the honey, so keep a close eye on it! Once the joint is cooked, remove from the oven and cover loosely with baking paper to allow it to ‘rest’. This evens out the temperature and makes the meat more juicy.

I’m sure it’s delicious, and lord knows I’m as gluttonous as the next sweet-toothed greedyguts. Something I’ve found though with a lot of Lorraine Pascale’s recipes when I’ve seen her cook on tv or her recipes online, is that they often seem to call for fairly hefty amounts of sugar (especially the savoury ones). Yes I could just reduce the amount of sugar, and obviously it’s not a big issue in the grand scheme of things, but 220g honey and 340g sugar in the glaze sounds maybe a bit much? Happy to take your word for it if you’ve made it and it’s well balanced though!

I have to say I’ve never been one for exact measurements… I haves on occasion used a little less sugar and honey just means it’s a little more runny so I just baste more often!!

With my smaller ham, I will play about with the measurements, but at least I have a recipe template. Thank you!!

This is my favourite Christmas ham recipe, a bit like a mulled ham. If you don’t like cloves just don’t use them and go for the glaze on its own. Delicious hot and also cold.

Be very carefull how you phrase things on here, ther could be interpretations …:rofl:

I thought this was about whole pieces of cured pig, not minced.

Nigella’s coca cola ham - or these days it’s Nigella’s Fentiman’s cola ham

Another celebrity endorsed drink??

Fentimans doesn’t need Nigella. How about ham cooked in Fentimans dandelion and burdock?