01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Christmas Fine Wine List 2020

Coming soon?

There seems to have been quite a bit of tidying up today on the website. Lots of mixed cases disappearing. Not sure if I am behind the times, but there also seems to be some rather nice Bordeaux hanging around the top end.

Any other clues giving you the eye?

2 Likes

Don’t know, but cannot wait :champagne:

Edit: I have noticed a recent Like from one of the buyers on an older post of mine mentioning the Christmas (wish) list. Perhaps…

4 Likes

I haven’t been studying closely but I think that a couple of interesting Hungarian wines have appeared.

I could be wrong though, they might have been there for ages.

5 Likes

I have been waiting for this to appear for a while as well. Looks like a very good deal

10 Likes

This tweet implies that the list will be landing this week :smiley: Je suis trés excited.

3 Likes

Exciting.

1 Like

Anyone experience with this? Has this been offered in previous vintages from the same source?

No, it’s new (from Chris Alheit, at least). Suppose there might have been an Exhibition chenin from SA before, but possibly before I became a member.

@lockej mentioned it on an Instagram tasting room chat I think. She said she was quite excited and I have been too ever since.

4 Likes

Interesting! There seem to be 1000+ cases available, which I’m rather surprised about. If correct, the grapes for this wine must surely be sourced from non-Alheit vineyards?

1 Like

There was an insta post or story last week saying it “was coming” … maybe next week ?

1 Like

Just seen a load of port on there too, Christmas is definitely stinking up the range!

2 Likes

Thanks, I can feel an order coming on !

This piqued my interest when browsing through ‘new wines’ recently…

3 Likes

Ha - I’m clearly not the only one with £35,000 of chenin blanc in my basket!

7 Likes

Hello! Yes, can confirm the FWL will be here this week - Friday, I think. And the List is being posted out at the end of the week too. :smiley:

13 Likes

I might be totally misremembering, but I don’t think they own many vineyards at all (though are looking to change this somewhat). I think it was an Ex Animo podcast I was listening to when Chris and Suzaan were describing fruit supply - leasing vineyards, managing how the land and fruit is treated and ensuring continuity of supply. The loss of the Radio Lazarus vineyard (drought) was a blow, but it wasn’t their land at least.

I’d imagine most of the fruit they use will be from leased or contracted vineyards, rather then just seeing what’s available at harvest. Alheit seems to sell out everywhere, every year, so it’s not a massive leap to suggest expansion was planned for. If Chris has secured a lot of fruit on a forward contract, current market conditions were probably unanticipated, so why not use the scale of TWS to sell it all, rather than sit around in bottle?

Jo was hopeful that we might see another vintage as well, so we might see some of the that sweet 2020 vintage too.

5 Likes

Will this also includes the Wine Champions Fine Wine winners or has that already been and gone and I’ve missed it?

1 Like

It’s not been and gone yet

1 Like

I think you’re perfectly correct. There was effectively a second label for awhile ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ from contract grown grapes but it’s now defunct.

Majestic currently list two wines, a chenin and a red blend (£15 if you buy six wines) labelled as ‘limited release’ which I believe are contract grown too.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right re leasing/contracting vineyards for their current/main releases, so it does make sense this is a new source and knowing the strict quality control the Alheits impose, this will certainly not be a duffer! As you point out, few winemakers in SA have similar access to TWS.

If this is a new Exhibition release, has there been a formal release/media alert? Would certainly like to know a bit more about the wine’s origins and how this sits (or not as it seems) within the Alheit portfolio.

2 Likes

It does smell like the Christmas list is indeed around the corner…

We probably won’t be going to Hungary this year, so might treat myself to a bottle.

5 Likes