01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Christmas Dinner & Wine Society Christmas Party Dozen

christmas

Hi - I’m new to the Wine Society. Although I’ve drunk a fair bit :wink: I would say that I am a wine novice.

I have just received the Christmas Party Dozen, which due to variety I thought would be good to get me started.

My question is which of these wines would go well with a traditional turkey Christmas dinner? The delicate meat of the turkey and robust flavours of the accompaniments.

The link to the wine box is https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=XC1940

The list of wines is as follows:

• Victory Hotel Australian Chardonnay-Semillon 2018
  • Château Tour La Vérité, Bordeaux 2016
  • Lascar Classic Central Valley Chardonnay 2018
  • Lascar Classic Carmenère 2018
  • Picpoul de Pinet, Domaine Félines-Jourdan 2018
  • Saint-Chinian, Domaine Raynier 2018
  • Baccolo Appassimento Rosso Veneto 2017
  • Vittoria Pinot Grigio IGT Venezie 2018
  • Val de Loire Sauvignon Blanc, Famille Bougrier 2018
  • Côtes-du-Rhône, Domaine Jaume 2017
  • A Fistful of Schist Reserve Chenin Blanc, Swartland 2019
  • Casa La Rad Solarce, Rioja 2017

Many thanks for your help/assistance. If people could also add why they would pair a certain bottle, then that would be an extra addition to my knowledge which would be fantastic.

Thanks again

Welcome to The Society & the community, and delighted to see that you presumably support the greatest ever football team :grinning:

Back on topic, I wouldn’t claim to be an expert and there are plenty on here with much more knowledge & experience but here’s my two penneth…

White - I would think you need something with a bit of body here to cope with the variety of flavours on a Christmas dinner plate so I’m drawn toward the Lascar Chardonnay from those I think.

Red - more contenders here I think. From memory the St Chinian has plenty of fruit and a bit of spice but may be just a little light overall. Personal preference perhaps but I’d prefer older Bordeaux or Rioja options for a Turkey dinner, though they would both be absolutely fine I would think. So overall I would plump for the Cotes-du-Rhône - reliable producer and should have a good mix of youthful fruit and peppery spice to stand up to the food, with I bit more oomph compared to the St Chinian mentioned above.

Have a great day whatever you go for. #MOT :wink:

Welcome to TWS (The Wine Society) and a very warm welcome to our community…

To answer your question, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the bottles. You’ll want to widen your horizons, which is probably why you’ve bought a mixed case, but I don’t think Christmas dinner is the place or time to experiment, so I would recommend you choose a wine that you know you’ll like.

However, my choice would be for a red and I think either the Bordeaux or Rioja would make perfect matches and be a classic choice.

A bit more adventurous, but likely to be delicious with the meal would be the Italian Baccolo Appassimento Rosso.

If there are more than two enjoying the meal, then why not open a red and a white and let diners choose?

Don’t forget to update us afterwards with what you opened and how it went.

Many thanks.

It’s absolutely wonderful to have some suggestions from people that have such a wealth of experience - it gives me a great start!

I’m certainly looking at a red - I’ll update the thread when I decide and report back.

Thank you once again.

Thanks Adrian. Great detailed guidance and I’ll let you know my progress and the results.

Frustrating result today. We never do it the easy way!

Surprised there isn’t a pinot noir in a Christmas selection?

Welcome @LeedsUTD! Hope you have a fab Christmas. I won’t add any more comments about the turkey dinner but would suggest the Picpoul would be a great match for a fishy starter or as an aperitif. The Baccollo has got Boxing Day leftovers written all over it as far I am concerned - unless you have it with the turkey :yum: