01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Christmas Day drinking

Just bought a small selection of ‘Clarets ripe for Christmas’ from p25 of the WS Fine Wine list -Lalande Borie and L’Enclos ; but this is what we’ll be drinking on The Day.

15 Likes

I’ve bought the very same bottle for Christmas day. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I always think chardonnay and pinot noir for Christmas Day lunch. How well do you guys find Bordeaux pairs with turkey?

2 Likes

Any wine goes with Turkey…you just have to drink enough!

No seriously, I like a Bordeaux with my Christmas dinner and will probably open a 2008 Sociando Mallet as well as a Grand Cru Chablis.

3 Likes

I tend to agree, it’s Turkey so we go with Pinot on the 25th and Bordeaux or occasionally a Rioja on the 26th, works for us . Fizz this year we’re trying a Blanc de Noir for a change.

2 Likes

I think a significant percentage of wine writing column inches in broadsheets must be dedicated to what to drink with turkey. In the last five years, we have gone with Cru Beaujolais, Saint Emilion and SA Grenache. David and Nadia Elpidios this year - red fruit, low tannin, slightly grippy texture which I think are now my generic tick boxes for a turkey wine. Their Grenache last year was lovely but possibly got a bit lost with the salty flavours of the PiBs etc. Saint Emilion seems to be the safe bet with non wine fans.

I don’t know what I’m doing with Spanish wines at all but I am tempted to go down a Rioja route one year.

4 Likes

We haven’t had turkey on CD for decades - a seriously overrated bird in my view. For us it’s venison, which my wife casseroles beautifully. Plus a classy wine.

10 Likes

I always think venison is one of the easiest wine matches as well.

1 Like

Traditional Turkey and all the trimmings in our house, and this years selection to accompany :+1:

17 Likes

Your trimmings look great in that photo

3 Likes

Châteauneuf-du-Pape?

Beats sprouts any day :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Depends if I can go to the pub at lunchtime. If the pub is a ‘go’ then whatever gets cooked has to require a vague hour-and-a-half in the oven without attention.

To be honest… after a couple of pints my attention to fine wine tends to wander.

But Champagne is a definite, I have a Gratien 2006 on standby.

1 Like

I’m not a turkey fan. It’s just not traditional Christmas fare.

Give me goose any day of the week. Or a wild mallard.

3 Likes

Size difference ?

Goose big

Mallard smaller

First shoot ones duck though :grin:

I’ve managed to escape the Turkey and we are having Chateaubriand :blush: as there will be just the two of us. So this is the line up with a bottle of Bogle Chardonnay on the way to join them if DHL manage to deliver it, which on current form is extremely unlikely! (They really are a useless organisation).

11 Likes

I went for the duck. Not shot by me though, unfortunately, now I have to decide what to drink with it………

Have you asked the duck what it would like? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This reminds me of a Shel Silverstein poem called ‘Point of View’:

Thanksgiving dinner’s sad and thankless
Christmas dinner’s dark and blue
When you stop and try to see it
From the turkey’s point of view.

Sunday dinner isn’t sunny
Easter feasts are just bad luck
When you see it from the viewpoint
Of a chicken or a duck.

Oh how I once loved tuna salad