01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Christmas Champagne Offers are here

Always some great case offers on the Society’s Xmas Champagnes. I think the pick this year might be the Gosset.

And this one I’ve just mentioned elsewhere at £22.50 a bottle if you buy 6…

Oh, I adore Gosset champagnes, but I wanted a vintage this year so plumped for the Gratien 2008. Maybe I need to upgrade my NYE fizz from Cava though…

I have a bottle of the Boizel en route to try.
Boizel 2008 and Taittinger 2012 in reserves and some halves ex Asda of Bolly for £18 bought a few weeks ago. I like Pinot dominated Champagne but refuse stump up for the Bolly 2004 RD.
That is one bridge, too far.
Now if Bolly brought out a 2008 Vintage cuvee, I might be interested in a case or three!
For now, I hope the Boizel NV suits my palate!!

I posted this up a while back but it might be of help to others reading this thread, see below for part of our Champagne infographic which shows the various house styles - useful if you like house A but might actually also like house B for example.

For those who’ve not seen it, the link to the offer is here…

Thanks.
Seems like a bottle of the Society’s House Champagne may be heading in my direction in the not too distant!:grinning:

I had a bottle of the Boizel NV last night and thought it was excellent; very easy drinking, smooth champagne and the chart @M1tch shared above is spot on. The Boizel is distinctly “appley” in character, which is a style I like.

Very likely that 6 of these will be in my pre-Christmas order.

can someone tell me where the Gosset style would sit on @M1tch chart.

I have to admit I like Champagne in all quarters of the map. Just depends on circumstances.

just withdrawn the case of Charles Heidsieck NV bought from 2016 Christmas offer. really looking forward to this one. :grinning:

Does anyone have a sense of whether the floral-biscuity axis (or the delicate-full, or both) correspond roughly to the PN/PM vs Chardonnay mix? Or other aspects of the winemaking / terroir?

The biscuity/yeasty end of things will be mostly down to yeast autolysis products, therefore mostly to do with how long the wine is left on its secondary lees in bottle. I think.

That makes sense, thanks.

I’m quite envious of people who know what style they are looking for, my champagne purchasing is almost entirely guesswork. Will have to do some more attentive drinking over the Christmas period…

Sorry if this is slightly OT but @Kent_wino’s post made me think of it- is the wine in reserves such as NV champagne held from the batch at time of purchasing? I hope so but wasn’t sure, given that members reserves are only ‘notional’ in the sense that the wine is all kept together (rather than my wine in place a, your wine in place b, etc.). I have some bottles of society’s NV champagne put in reserves last year, will these be maturing, or when I get them delivered could they just be from the most recent shipment? Apologies if the answer is obvious and I’m being dense.

All these offers coming through the door, I don’t know what to do with myself; I have zero willpower! Two cases of three heading to reserves…

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Members’ Reserves

A post was merged into an existing topic: Members’ Reserves

Usually I get a case of TWS excellent Brut (£144 a case), which sees us through for most of the year. And it’s wonderful stuff, butttercup yellow with plenty of age and depth. This year I’m tempted by TWS Rose (£149.50 case) - I was wondering if anyone has an opinion, because there are a no member’s reviews. Advice please!

For a Champagne style guide, I found this a few years ago on the website of the official Champagne marketing authority, and thought it so good that (with permission) I got a couple of tea towels printed up with it for friends. The website link is https://www.champagne.fr/en/tasting-and-appreciation/champagne-tasting-experience/champagne-aromas

That’s a nifty chart, @ChiantiPeter - thanks.

A couple more suggestions -

Sometimes really mature pinot-based wines can take on a chocolate note. Sometimes it is very strong indeed, dominating the palate, at which point it is not very nice.

They have left off redcurrants! Definitely a part of the red-fruit end of things. It can be quite obvious in pinot noir based wines from the Aube.

Reserve wines. Part of the blender’s black magic kit! (S)he can mix in maturer wines from other places/times/grapes to give the sort of blend needed. Though not in vintage champagnes.

Immaturity. Immature wines of all types can appear “tight”. Some people like them like this. But if it appears that there is more in there which just can’t be resolved on the palate, you can mature the wine to open it up. Wines with a lot of chardonnay in them are prone to this but it can happen to them all. Pinots from the Bouzy/Ambonnay area can even seem a bit thuggish in certain years. Same recommendation - just wait.

Non-malo wines (wines which have not gone through a malo-lactic ferment). This includes such as Lanson traditionally and Alfred Gratien. These tend to taste much more acidic on release, but often keep very well if you wish to mature them.

I’m not a fan of champagne but I have a particular aversion to Gosset after someone once referred to it as gusset by mistake.