Christmas (and other mixed) Cases

Does anyone else get Christmas cases, and then wonder why?

I get one from Naked, and it always seemed to provide decent value for money, but I am beginning to question whether that value is in the wine or in the extras; olive oil and vinegar, and gin and (rather nice) tonics but how many sets of 4 wine glasses do I need (wouldn’t it be nice if they could be the same as in prior years so that the set became 8 - or 7 in my case as I managed to break one?).

What is the way ahead? I am perfectly capable of choosing a decent selection of wines, but the occasional mixed case can provide a surprise variety or country…but is the Christmas Case the time to do that?

The society did some terrific ones last year - Christmas Day boxes at all price levels, Christmas party hosting boxes etc. can’t do better than that

4 Likes

I got a Christmas small wonders whites last year and have discovered that I’m not too bothered about Floridene, Birgit Braunstein seems worth further exploration, and Caraguilhes is delicious and previously completely unknown to me. The other three I like and drink anyway, so imo it was a pretty worthwhile purchase.
I can’t remember exactly why I bought it but certainly happy that I did.

3 Likes

I do tend to view mixed cases as a tastng opportunity rather than a means of stocking up, get the mixed case, see what i like and then buy more if necessary / still available.

3 Likes

Never bothered with it…but have sent Christmas gifts from TWS which include some foodstuffs as well as wine.

2 Likes

Typically I get TWS Ultimate Xmas 6 Case every year… but being a cunning Lapin I wait for the Jan / Feb price reduction. Fantastic wines with a bottle of vintage Gratien plus 1985 vintage port for the xmas 2019/20 case. Not bad for £149

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/the-ultimate-christmas-day-case-80db5d66

However the last couple of years, they have been o.o.s so no January bargain to be had! Hoping that TWS over-stock this year.

1 Like

I love putting together a Christmas Case! I just go into the cellar and say to myself 'It’s Christmassssssss! and pick out what I’d like.

6 Likes

It is an opportunity to open that special bottle! I have an Eiswien though that has been sitting in my wine rack for several years as I never get to pudding on Christmas Day and it doesn’t feel right opening it on Boxing Day. This year though…this year…even if it is is Boxing Day

4 Likes

If you go more European and have your main Christmas meal on the 24th, then you can have a lesser meal on 25th and enjoy your Eiswein afterwards without so much digestive pressure!

1 Like

My Christmas Eve drinking is usually restricted as I am a priest and normally officiate or preach at Midnight Mass and even if the congregation isn’t all entirely sober, I do feel that I should be. Especially as I have to drive.

18 Likes

Boxing Day with blue cheese perhaps?

1 Like

Oh dear the Christmas list has just arrived through my door

2 Likes

Heating bills or wine purchases…? The answer is easy.

5 Likes

Well if you are not officiating on Christmas morning, I would be tempted by a post Midnight Mass glass of Eiswein with or without a cheeky mince pie. Lie in on Christmas Day, sorted.

2 Likes

As a pensioner of a certain age I have just received a letter from DWP informing me that my winter fuel payment will be £500 … so perhaps I’ll be able to afford both heating and some wine purchases. Since my partner hardly drinks a drop I am very tempted by the halves case in the Christmas fine wine list.

5 Likes

I am probably on the 10am Eucharist as well :frowning: it’s a full on working day…until around 12:30!!!

3 Likes

Or treat yourself to a wine saver of some description? See the Coravin thread (though for short term saving I still reckon a vacuvin is the best value…)

A treat for when I get home! Hooray!