01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cherchez la femme

Fair point and well made. I realise how hypocritical I was. Apologies.

I think you said it as it was actually…especially in your first post.

It wasn’t ‘ad hominem’ but summed up the characteristics involved. I don’t mind folk who say it as they think provided it’s not abusive or bullying. We should feel free to say some uncomfortable things from time to time, but in the right way.

5 Likes

Nothing to apologise to me about…
I was agreeing with your comment

5 Likes

fully agree - two points…

1. most people don’t know how to eloquently put their view forward
  2. written word (esp in short form as seen is social media) is very difficult to “read” and often interpretation is difficult
6 Likes

Agree with both. I often have to tell a couple of younger guys on our cricket committee to tone it down on online chat between us, as they just don’t realise that whilst if they said that face to face it might be ok, but not in writing!!

5 Likes

Thanks for clarifying and I’m sorry for my misunderstanding. With hindsight, I didn’t think my post was particularly constructive, just angry. I should have considered it more and explained my feelings less emotionally.

2 Likes

I wanted to share this article/ interview by Tom Hewson with Queena Wong.
I think most people around the London area will know who she is, or maybe I’m naively thinking they do.
She makes some really good points about female collectors and the wine trade ignoring this demographic (willfully or not) in promoting and selling fine wine to women.
A lot of what she says resonated with me as someone who has a reasonable collection which is continuing to grow (don’t tell Mr. Leah :sweat_smile:).
Queena has done some really amazing things for women in wine in London, she also speaks candidly to Sophia Longhi on thisinsta live, both are worth checking out .

8 Likes

In my stereotypically ditzy male way I really want a Salon phone case!

1 Like

As do I :joy::joy::star_struck:

I just watched the instalive thing with Queena. Very interesting, particularly around male networking and Queena’s experience and response to this. At times deliciously understated, very positive and unashamedly directed at women, the forty minutes flew by. Thanks Leah.

2 Likes

It’s really good isn’t it ?! She’s a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

It is interesting that she has managed to become so influential without working in the industry. I mean she spoke about a newsletter but it seems that it is mainly about networking. There is something quite inspiring about it, the line that Sophie said (I think) about you can’t do it if you can’t see it and Queena certainly seems to have done it, and made it look effortless, even though I bet it wasn’t.

1 Like