01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cheap white wine

Looking for a dry white wine for summer drinking. What are your favourites up to £6?

I should add that the reason I was asking is following a Wine of the Week from Tom Cannanvan - Oxford Landing SB - which is £6, and I wondered if TWS could match/beat it!

Edt 2: I think we’ll allow up to £7!

1 Like

This?

sorry

3 Likes

From TWS I’d try this.

Not had it, but have enjoyed other Pecorinos…

Edit: Aaargh, sorry, I didn’t realise it was another half bottle

2 Likes

Behind a paywall but here goes

TWS only has three under £6 (full bottles) so you’ll probably have to head for a supermarket.

1 Like

Wow - OK, maybe I have to up the budget to £7! :wink:

I wonder what Cantoiseau Blanc is like…

1 Like

Surprisingly nice for the low price, believe it or not.

1 Like

If you can stretch to £7.50 the Turkheim Pinot Blanc, at £90 per dozen this week, would be a great choice.

3 Likes

I’ve had that, it was perfectly drinkable. In fact I enjoyed it far more than a £19 Oregon Pinot Blanc we had at the weekend which I did not get on with at all.

1 Like

https://groceries.asda.com/product/chardonnay/asda-extra-special-chardonnay/1000278065598

This is very good for a fiver.
Just sayin’ :grin:

6 Likes

I do believe it!

1 Like

Reviews seem to back up that recommendation Cantoiseau Blanc, Vin de France

3 Likes

I think this is the best cheap white on the TWS list

6 Likes

Mmm. Don’t think the Mrs would like that if it really is representative of those grapes! Looking for something fairly flavourless/neutral - like Chablis or Muscadet (IYSWIM)

I will gladly add my vote to the Cantoiseau Blanc (really is fantastically fresh and easy-drinking for the price!) but I also put a vote in for these:

Really doesn’t feel like you’re drinking a £6.50 wine - an awful lot of flavour for the price!

Very summery, lovely to sip in the garden

Someone else mentioned the Turkheim Pinot Blanc and that’s one of our house whites! :smiley: It is a bit pricier though at £8.50, but well worth it.

8 Likes

I’d personally do a supermarket Vino Verdhe - you can’t really go wrong with them IMO.

The Fauno Blanco from ND John is nice-for-the-money too. But not flavourless particualrly!

I drink a lot of San Pellegrino now that Badoit is not around; about £1 a bottle.

Tesco Finest St Mont, £6.50, is pretty good, and you can stock up when it’s 25% off, which brings it below a fiver.

3 Likes

Well, the “flavourless” comment was slightly in jest!

If the budget can stretch, then this is a lot of fun as a summer white wine…

4 Likes

Interesting you suggest that - I’ve bought a lot of that, and the red version - but from Decantalo (or suchlike) at a stupidly low price (all-in)… Trouble is, we don’t really like it that much! :wink:

Here: Hortas do Caseirinho Frisante White Sparkling

1 Like

If that’s the case, and if there’s a degree of budgetary flex, I think the Diez Siglos Rueda Verdejo is a whole lot of wine for the money. A lot going on for the £7.50ish it often is.

2 Likes