01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Charente holiday in September

france

We are having a couple of weeks in the Charente area in September. The nearest town to where we are staying is Rochefort. We will be quite near Ile dOleron, Cognac and the Cotes of Bourg and Blaye. Has anyone got any recommendations of eateries, wineries, small Cognac houses, beaches etc? And any recommendations for a nice place to stay one night near St Malo on the way back, needing free and secure parking for our enormous Beamer.

Hello!

I’m sure you’ll get lots of responses from members who know this area far better than me, but I did enjoy editing this Travels in Wine in Cognac last year and there’s a few Cognac houses mentioned and it might prove useful!

Over to the rest of you…

Thanks Laura! Will take a look.

My brother-in-law’s wife is from the Charente - further north near Saint-Pierre d’Amilly. Her family are farmers but also run a gite business. On their website they have a useful recommendations page about places to go in the region including some restaurant suggestions. All in French…

https://www.gitegrandcourdeault.com/tourism/

Might be of some help.

If I get a chance I’ll ask for any recommendations for restaurants in Rochefort and any tips on smaller houses in cognac.

Thanks very much @Lincoln! Will certainly follow the link and anything further gratefully received. It’s not an area we know well but looking forward to explore it soon.