01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Change of billing date for Members’ Reserves?

I put my first bottles into storage in May 2021, and was anticipating my first Reserves bill would arrive in May this year as I understood it was on the anniversary. However, on Friday afternoon I received an email which said “Under the new arrangements and timings, this email is to notify you that you will be invoiced for any wines that are held in your Reserves as of Monday 7th March”. I have to request withdrawal by midnight 6th March if I want to avoid charges.

I’d suspected a change was in the offing as it was mentioned in general terms in a previous email at the beginning of this month (the one that confirmed you can now put a 6 bottle case into reserves) and in January when my husband received notice that the Graticciaia 2016 had arrived in Stevenage the email said that if he wanted to put them into Reserves he would be invoiced in March.

It’s always seemed a bit odd (generous!) to me that effectively you get a year’s storage for free and my reserves bill is tiny so it doesn’t affect me much, although it seems rather short notice and I see that the website hasn’t been updated with the change. Has anyone else has been informed of this? I’m wondering if TWS is moving all members to a March billing date or just some. I think I’ll get in touch with Member Services in the morning.

(Apologies if this has been raised already, I searched but couldn’t find anything.)

2 Likes

In the past some people have complained that they were unable to move their billing date.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for flagging this, it does appear a bit odd. I’ve just checked my Gratticcaia email and mine will be charged as normal in April with the rest of my reserves. It has always been April so is not changing.
I would definitely contact member services tomorrow to clarify why this is happening to you.
Let us know how you get on.

2 Likes

Thanks Leah, interesting about your Graticciaia email. I’ll see what MS have to say.

1 Like

Try for the 29th Feb :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I received a similar email. I expected it was a change that would impact everyone.

1 Like

I also received the email, but I expect to receive my rental invoice in March. Sounds to me like they may have mixed up a few recipients…

1 Like

I emptied reserves earlier this month, transferred to garage. Zero rent, ample wines ‘on call’, would be a win/win except my better half tells me I have too much wine.

1 Like

Out of sight, out of mind… I think my other half would be absolutely horrified by the scale of it, if she ever saw it all in one place.

9 Likes

Yes, I thought there would be lots of people on here fuming at getting huge bills when they weren’t expecting them. Obviously not, although there is clearly some change planned, given the wording of the email.

Cock-up rather than anything else maybe…

1 Like

Moi aussi… and then there’s the wines at Farr, Lay&Wheeler, Cru… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Bad idea that ….

1 Like

I also got a similar email about new arrangements, but the billing date was in Feb as expected. I agree with others that something seems to have gone wrong in your case @JaneC as I’m not aware of any change to the ‘anniversary’ policy.

And yes, a year’s free storage is a bargain, as long as when the deadline comes round you don’t find you’ve bought so much other wine in the interim you no longer have space for the stuff you bought a year ago. Thanks Community! :relaxed:

2 Likes

The old system was that the billing date was determined by the last number of your share number, eg. if it was a ‘4’ then you’d pay on the last day of April.

2 Likes

I thought it was charged on the month when you first put something in reserves.

4 Likes

In my case it looks like it is billed based on my anniversary of joining but maybe that’s just a coincidence :upside_down_face:

Just spoken to Member Services. You are quite right @ChrisSharky, the billing month is determined by the last digit of your share number. Coincidentally my husband and I both have numbers ending in 3, so it makes sense that it’s March for both of us. The old system was that you were charged based on wines in store at the end of the month, the change is that it’s now the start of the month that counts. (The adviser I spoke to said the 1st of the month, but my email says 7th March.)

So I wonder if billing on the anniversary was an even older system as it seems that’s how it works for many people. I have suggested it would avoid confusion if it was actually explained somewhere on the website.

Hmmm, so do I withdraw or pay. Withdrawing means relying on DHL as there’s no TWS van down here in Cornwall and I won’t happen to be passing Stevenage in the next fortnight as I’d planned to do before May…decision time :thinking:

Mine ends in 0… :thinking:

4 Likes

Perhaps 3 being March is a coincidence then! Who knows…

Or 0 is October and no one is billed in November or December

2 Likes

Is there still free storage for the first year? The explanation (if you can call it that) on the website say the fee is ’ charged annually in advance’. Nothing about the date (I certainly thought it was still the anniversary of putting wine in. Is it now charged from the time you put wine in?

As usual, the search on TWS website couldn’t find any information (just a list of wines with ‘reserve’ in the name), but google found it first time with ‘Wine Society reserves’.