01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Champagne Nukes its own Vineyards

See

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2022/04/champagne-nukes-its-own-vineyards

3 Likes

Greenwashing is everywhere. Empty virtue signalling even more.

1 Like

Unfortunately if left to their own devices so many will go for the swift buck, rather than think about the environment. Enforceable legislation is the only guarantee of improvements.

2 Likes

I am going to Champagne for 3 days in mid June staying at Gueux, just SW of Rheims. I will be driving around the Champagne area so I will take a look at as many vineyards as possible, to have a look at the situation. I may even take photographs… but I will report back on what I observe if that is of any interest to anyone.

14 Likes

I boycotted buying Champagne about 20 years. For me it just represents the pure greed and snobery of the wine business at it’s very worst.
Have I missed having it in my life? Not one teensy weensy bit. In fact I feel empowered by having now discovered where to buy something fizzy and just about as nice for about 25% of the cost.
Even with the enormous cash benifits thier sacred land provides them, they cannot be bothered to care for it properly. There really would be little hope for the plannet if we were to all take the lead from these ba****ds.

8 Likes

Likewise (kinda) I also boycotted the fat fizz - partly because I simply could not afford Ch. prices and partly due to an allergic reaction to some methode champenoise.

HOWEVER, for the last 5 to 8 years either I or Ch. has changed because the allergy is no longer a problem. And I have discovered that GOOD champagne is incomparably wonderful. Providing that one buys cannily, and avoids the lakes of ‘meh’.

But getting back to the original post regarding illegal use of herbicides. Can anyone from member’s services comment ref: Gratien?

3 Likes

I never boycotted Champagne. Whilst I am sure there are businesses that are money oriented I tried to search out smaller growers and try their wines. Chartogne Taillet, Larmandier-Bernier and A Margaine to name but three. There are many others.

3 Likes

Although I’ve not bought champers for at least 20 years I still get to taste it from time to time and what I’ve had just hasn’t inspired me to rush out and go mad with my bank card.
Had a bottle of the bog standard Moet a couple of months ago which just didn’t light any sparks.
A friend of ours from Paris that visits us yearly always brings a couple of bottles from a small producer he raves about who his family have been buying from for generations. Can’t remember the name of the producer as with Covid Michelle hasn’t been for a couple of years. But I’ve never had the heart to tell him it’s a bit wasted on us as all we get from it are sharp green apples and Mrs D & I just can’t see what all the fuss is about.

1 Like

I recall that I rashly promised some photos of my Champagne trip of this week. We stayed in Reims. We drove around the Montagne de Reims and the Cote de Blancs.
Unlike most English vineyards that produce sparkling wine the Champenois plant their vines much more densely. They also prune them much closer to the ground using the Taille de Chablis or Cordon Royat methods (the other two permitted methods- Vallée De Marne and Guyot- were not much in evidence). By last week they had clearly top pruned the new growth branches. The soils I saw had some grass and weeds. Grass was much in evidence in the Larmandier-Bernier vineyards that we drove past, but he is certified Biodynamic.
I asked about global warming and was told that it has so far helped them get better ripeness but they have to keep a strict eye on acidity.
The photos below show the state of the top soils that we saw. Overall I did not see what could be described as dead soils.
I am very sorry but somehow I cannot upload the photos the right way up.

5 Likes

Let me be of assistance Andrew

But that ain’t grass tha’s that there mare’s tail. Good luck with that !

2 Likes

Thank you Peter for sorting my abject failure with technology.
I should have said the lower photo is not an L-B vineyard! it is in north part of Montagne de Reims.